Checkmate.

Checkmate.

"Your move." She mumbled with a shake in her voice as she looked up through her lashes.

She cursed herself for showing fear, for showing weakness.

He studied the chess board, his face wiped of emotion, his eyes hard.

She held her breath as she watched him.. Waited.

He pushed his pawn up, face to face with hers.

Blocking each others path until one of them falls.

He barely glanced at her as he leaned back and crossed his arms over his chest.

Looking bored and free of any emotion towards her.

She tore her eyes from him and looked down, unintentionally biting her lip, not knowing what it did to him when she did that.

She examined the discarded pile of fallen pieces, from both sides, then back to the board.

She sent her Queen across the squares, closing in on his King.

She looked up at him and they locked eyes for a second. The warning in his eyes, telling her she was getting to close, intrigued her.

He sighed and focused on the board, readying himself for the next move.

She watched him, rather than the board. His posture, his lips, his eyes, as he played out the possible scenarios.

She jumped at the crash and looked down to see he had taken out one of her bishops. One of her walls of protection.

She had so little left, he had taken down them all.

She stared at the board, fearing defeat. She was only pretending.

It was his game, it always had been, she was still learning the rules. She was a little pawn and he was a strong King.

She saw him smirk at her and she ignored the flutter it gave her heart and stared at all the remaining pieces.

She moved her Queen again, edging closer to that King.

She slowly sunk back into her chair and folded her arms around herself, protecting herself from his next move.

He stared at her instead of the game before them. He didn't for a second look away from her as he pushed his castle to her side of the board.

She was on full display. He was in her territory. His path was clear.

She couldn't breathe. She looked up at him with wide eyes and he mumbled the word that broke her.

"Checkmate."

****

Okay, so this is different to anything I've done, so I'd love to know what you guys think?

Thank you for reading :)

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow me :)

- Jade xx