Chapter 4 Bellamy

They weren't at the Grounders capitol yet, But Bellamy could tell they were close, just by the view. They were travelling down a Mountain ridge, Bellamy and Alyson on one horse with a Grounder, and Clarke on the other horse with another Grounder. in the distance, you could see a jumble of mountains and hills, and if you look sharply, you could see the tip of a top of a skyscraper, with a bowl of flames t the very top. The view made Bellamy crack a smile, but it was pretty far. They probably won't reach it until nightfall. They were hoping to get their by noon, but Bellamy wasn't seeing that happening. The two horses came to a halt, as the two Grounders got off of them. Clarke, Bellamy, and Alyson exchanged a few worried glanced, as they wondered why on Earth they dismounted their horses. The two stepped over to a large tree, which sat on the side of the horse trail, with many different concepts and carvings in it. Bellamy dismounted the horse as well, hitching down onto his heels. 

"Hey! What're you guys doing?" Bellamy asked, leaving his rifle on top of the horse, strung to Alyson's rifle. One of the Grounders turned towards Bellamy. He believed Clarke called this one Ambrogio. "We need to continue heading towards your Capitol, it is over those Mountains." Bellamy gestured towards the roll of high tipped Mountains, off in the distance behind the trees and fields. Yaegar, The second Grounder, turned towards Bellamy, not looking angry, nor happy. 

"We must pay our respects to the Nativity tree. Every Commander who exists today, was born under this tree. Lexa was, and Aaron The Great, The commander before her. And all the other Commanders before them, excluding the ones who've fallen from the sky." Yaegar spoke sincerely. Bellamy nodded, not wanting to interrupt their spiritual thing or whatever. he knew they would take a while, they began to light tiny white candles around the tree. 

"What are they doing?" Alyson asked, seeing Bellamy step forward to the horse. Bellamy shrugged, taking small steps over to a few bumped up rocks at the side of the trail. 

"They are doing some Grounder ritual to their deceased former commanders..apparently every commander who Ever lived was born under that tree. 

"Clarke, I thought you said that the Grounders leaders come down from The Ark, and that is how they are picked?" Alyson inquired, dropping down on the trail, and tying the Horse up to an old fence post which was still barely sticking from the Ground. 

"Correct. The people who come from space, are the leaders. Temporarily until they have a child. When they have a child, that child becomes the Commander. Lexa's Mother was from The Ark. She must have came down on an expedition that the former Chancellors set up centuries ago. That's why when our Dropship broke apart in mid air, the Grounders rushed to the other half, thinking that it was a new leader...until that other half was foolish enough to attack the Grounders, and now their dead.." Clarke remained on the horse, petting its beautiful mane. The one she was on, was a beautiful shadow black, while the other one was a pure bred white. 

"You never really told me why we are going to their Capitol, Clarke." Alyson asked in a low tone. 

"Lexa wants to speak with me about something very important. A few things actually. One of her messengers came to camp yesterday, alarming me about it...I'm still just so relieved we are at peace with the Grounders..I honestly couldn't believe Lexa gave us that deal. Now hopefully, When The Ark comes down, they don't screw anything up." Clarke sighed. Alyson inclined back, leaning against the smooth rocks. 

"Yeah...The Ark.." Bellamy sighed, thinking back to when they fired the flares. What if they seen the flares? What if they are preparing Dropships to fire down here, as they speak. Bellamy began to get frightened. At first when he and his sister came down in the beginning, he was planning to flee with her when The Ark came down. But now, he and her have made so many friends, and vowed to so many things. Alyson placed her hand on his. 

"Hey, I know you're upset...but I won't let them throw you into a cell. Clarke won't, Alexandra won't, and I know definitely Octavia won't...Murphy even won't. You know why? Because we all trust you." Alyson half smiled, staring into Bellamy's deep eyes. A lot of people at camp may trust Bellamy, but that also means a lot of people don't, like Wells, Dane, and Olivia. Two of those people already gone. 

"I guess you're right." Bellamy admitted, rising upon his feet, noticing Yaegar and Ambrogio returning from the desolate tree, coming back to their horses. it was time to go. Bellamy patted Alyson's shoulder, as the two mounded back upon the horses. Preparing to set back off, to the Capitol. To the golden looking skyscraper behind the Mountains.