CHAPTER-FOURTEEN

"No! I don't know why you are here." Bethany said with a hint of anger. I sighed.

"I am here to see you." I said.

"See me? Why? Who am I to you?" She asked in a flat tone.

"Good question!" I said scratching my chin. She glared at me, I chuckled.

"Okay! Bad joke. Ah! I came back here to see how you were doing? Because I felt you got upset or maybe angry." I said.

"I am fine, Jake!" She replied without looking at me.

"Bethany! I am sorry that Kylie came here but trust me! I didn't know she was following me. I know you didn't like her coming here and her questions must have been painful but I didn't bring her here." I said and hung my head low. A few seconds passed neither of us said anything, we just stood there letting everything settle down.

"I shouldn't have behaved like that. But there was something odd about her." She finally broke the silence between us.

"So you are not upset anymore?" I asked with a smile.

"No! Jake, I am not." She replied with a smile too.

"And Bethany!" I said seeking her attention.

"Hmmm!" She mumbled.

"You are my friend. That's who you are to me, a very special one." I said looking into her eyes. The long lost sparkle was once again bristling in those eyes. It made me happy, knowing that I was the reason behind that sparkle.

"Jake! I-I don't know what to say? But wouldn't that be awkward for you to be friends with a spirit?" She asked.

"Don't say that. Relations are based on connections, they aren't made up of physical stuff. And I feel connected to you." I said with a frown.

"T-This is the nicest thing I have heard in such a long time. There still are good people in the world." She said.

I knew what was she referring to. It really aches my heart, when ever I think about her tragedy. The images of my imagination gives me goose bumps, I wonder what she must be feeling while going through it. Nothing pleasant.

I walked to her and grabbed her hand gently and made her walk with me towards the window in the lounge. She had a question in her eyes but she didn't ask and I didn't clarify anything. We don't always need words to explain things. I made both us sit before the window, through which we could the moon, stars and the sky. I always used to look up at the sky when I used to feel bored.

"Bethany! I wanna know more about you? I hope you don't mind." I said facing her.

"How can I feel bad about something I don't remember? I don't remember many things about myself." She replied with a sad smile.

"Try to remember! Maybe it will come to you." I said with hope.

She kept her right hand on my forehead. "What are you doing?" I asked. "Shhh!" She made me silent.

She closed her eyes, at first I thought she was trying to meditate but I realized that she was concentrating onto something. So I closed my eyes too. Everything was black! That's how it is when we close our eyes but then these colored images started filling my mind. It took a few slow moments to realize what those images were memories. They were Bethany's memories, they weren't clear. The whole thing was unbelievable, I didn't know they can actually do that.

Then an image started playing in my mind, like a video.

I saw a group of four girls talking and giggling. However, the one wearing a white tank top and a red skirt with polka dots, her hair tied in a French braid was the only one I was familiar with. They were sitting in the area which looked like a back yard with magazines in their hands and munching pizza. The girls were having their fun time, then a tiny fur ball of white color came running from inside the house and threw itself on Bethany's lap. She started stroking the felines head, cooing it. Making it purr and lash it's tail to and fro gently. Then I felt a pull and I was being drawn away from them.

Once again I was surrounded by darkness, it took a while to be cognizant of my surroundings, I opened my eyes and saw Bethany was smiling with her eyes closed. A smile spread across my face too, she opened her eyes abruptly and saw me staring and smiling at her.

"What?" She asked averting her gaze.

"N-Nothing! I was just- It's nothing." I stammered. She mumbled something I couldn't listen.

"Did you say something?" I asked.

"Mr. Rogers. My cat. I used to love cats, I got him as a present from a friend of mine then. He was so little when I first got him." She beamed.

"I had a pet too! It was a goldfish." I said.

"Then what happened?" She asked.

"I killed it." I replied. She was so baffled, her eyes went wide with shock.

"It was an accident. I was only five years old then, I bought it from my weekly savings. I fed it more than it's capability. And then I even had a funeral for it." I said lying down with my back on the ground. She tittered.

"Well! Thanks for making me remember my memories." She said.

"No need of saying thanks." I said, my eyelids were becoming heavier every minute.

"You don't know Jake! How it feels when you don't remember things about yourself. And the worst thing that happened with me was that, I only had a memory of how I died and nothing else." She said. I knew she was in pain, no matter how much I try to make her forget that, it comes back again.

We both were looking outside the window, moonlight be lighting us. It was really serene and my eyes started growing even heavier, then darkness started settling in my eyes.

****************
Author's Note: I know it's a very late update. So sorry! Things were happening in my life. I can tell you one I'll never leave writing.

The new chapter is up. I hope it's not boring. And these two are my characters, I know it took more than a while to figure out but I did. And I am not good with editing pictures. Lol

Please! Vote and leave a comment. :-)