CHAPTER-SIXTEEN

The man was standing there, wearing aviators I couldn't see his eyes. Then he smirked and started taking slow steps towards my bike. I gulped, the way he was walking towards me was pretty aggressive. My heart jumped into throat but I decided to play it cool. The man was none other than officer David Michaels. 

"Mr. Murphy! What are you doing?" Officer asked suspiciously.

"Oh! I was just going back to the dorms." I replied with a tight lipped smile.

"Oh! I see! And where are you coming from?" He asked, now taking off his glasses.

"Ah! I just wanted to get some fresh air, so I decided to take a ride, you know? Is everything alright?" I asked.

"Listen! Murphy let's come straight to the point. I hate riddles, I have lots of things to deal with." He said frowning.

"What are you trying to say, officer? I have no idea." I trying to ignore, what he was implying.

"You don't understand? Eh! Well, how about I take you to the police station with me and then we have our conversation over a cup of coffee." He said sarcastically. Keeping his right hand on my left shoulder which sent shiver down my spine.

"Officer! Why would you take me to the police station? I am not a criminal." I interjected.

"Murphy! You are the only confirmed suspect, according to our investigations, we've come across two contingencies. And those are, either Cody is kidnapped or has been murdered." He said, his first gentle grip on my shoulder got a little bit tight, which was kinda hurting.

"And what do I have to do with what?" I asked.

"Enough with the games Murphy! It's so obvious that, you've either murdered Cody or you've kidnapped him." He almost yelled.

I stood there like an idiot, for a while. The things officer was accusing me off were intolerable. Yes! I somehow knew that, many people think that, I did something to Cody but actually hearing that, people indirectly accusing me of being the culprit was something difficult to process. I regained my composure.

"Officer! You are accusing of something, I didn't do." I uttered.

"I knew there was something going on when you said that, you came out alive of that house. No one comes out alive of that house, spill it out, Murphy!" He said without listening anything.

"Okay! Listen! It's not what you think it is. Ah! You won't even believe what the truth is-"

"What do you mean?" He asked, giving me a suspicious look.

"Please! Just listen to me, without jumping to conclusions because very crucial that you listen and pay attention to every word I am about to say. Just once! Give me a chance. Just this once." I pleaded. 

Officer Micheals looked directly into my eyes, maybe to check whether I was lying or not. I didn't flinch and then he took a step back, giving me space and I sighed.

"Go on!" He said, taking a cigarette and a lighter from the pocket of his coat and lighting it.