{Sixteen}

Craig and I ended up just going to his place since his parents weren't home and his sister was at her friends' house. We were sitting on the couch, watching some weird TV show that seemed to be popular, though I wasn't at all very interested in it to tell the truth.

At some time during the show, I must have fallen asleep because the next time my eyes opened I was leaning against Craig who was speaking quietly on the phone.

"What happened?" he asked. There was silence, then he sighed and responded to whatever the person said, "I'll be there soon." He hung up and slid the phone back into his pocket. He didn't move for a good minute but when he actually did make an attempt to stand up and carefully lower me unto the bed, I slowly opened my eyes and sat up myself. "Oh, you're awake."

"Mhmm.." I responded, yawning, "Wh-where are you going?"

Craig walked over to the kitchen counter and grabbed some keys, "I have to pick my sister up from her friends'."

"D-did something b-bad happen!?" I asked, now on my feet.

Craig shrugged, "She won't tell me." He grabbed a coat and headed toward the door. I followed and soon we were in his dad's car, making our way towards wherever it was that Ruby was at.

When we arrived, his sister had just stomped out of her friends' house and pulled open the car door with such force that I shrieked in fear. "Hurry up," said Ruby as she jumped inside, looking royally pissed off, "I wanna go home."

Craig said nothing and pulled out of the spot we had been parked in, making our way back to his place.  It was silent the entire way there, something that made me more and more uncomfortable the longer we drove. It took far too long for us to arrive back at the Tucker household and when we did, Ruby was slamming doors like crazy and flipping everything off. At one point she stubbed her toe on the doorframe to her room and a string of profanities slipped out of her mouth. Words that she shouldn't really use at her age, yet I refrained from saying anything for two reasons. The first one was the fact that I was scared she would hit me or something. The other was simply because I knew such phrases even before I was her age, and used them frequently. I would have been a hypocrite had I said something.

"Make me dinner!" she called from her room before slamming the door shut and stomping about in there. Craig flipped off the closed entrance but walked into the kitchen anyway.

"Ngh - you can cook?" I asked, following close behind him, trying to stop myself from freaking out since Ruby's tantrum got me on edge.

Craig shrugged, "Not really.. But how can someone mess up on scrambled eggs?"

I nodded and hopped onto the kitchen counter, swinging my legs back and forth, twitching every so often. That was the night I watched in awe as Craig Tucker undercooked scrambled eggs, then over cooked them, then got too distracted from a call on his phone to scramble them.

■ ■ ■

The following weekend passed by uneventfully and come Monday we returned our borrowed clothes to Token, who thanked us for them and asked where we went later that night. We had just been about to respond when Clyde strolled up, wrapping his arms around the two of us and pulling us in close.

"There's a rumor you two slipped out of the party and got it on!" Clyde laughed, "Is it true? Please tell me it's true!"

"HOLY SHIT, DUDE! N-n-n-no way! Oh Jesus!!" I cried. I could feel my body vibrating out of anxiety and instinctively tugged at my hair, "This is all - ACK! - w-way too much - ngh- pressure!!"

"Yeah," agreed Craig, "That's ridiculous. Besides, Tweek and I are straight."

How can one person be so cruel without even meaning to? Straight. Straight, straight, straight. That word was like a gun to my heart, and Craig was the one who pulled the trigger.

Clyde snorted, "Come on, man, you don't have to lie. We're all buds here!"

Craig rolled his eyes but said nothing. Then Clyde turned to me expectantly and I freaked.

"ERK! Wh-what?!" I asked, wide-eyed.

Clyde smirked, "Well? You gay or what?"

Though I couldn't tell, I was almost one hundred percent positive that my face had turned a bright shade of red. I shook my head rapidly, "NGH- that's n-not your business!"

"HE IS!" exclaimed Clyde, jumping up in joy. He jogged ahead slightly and turned towards us with a giant grin, "You two would be awesome together!" He winked.

"Stop trying to play match maker," sighed Token.

"Make me!" Clyde pouted. Token rolled his eyes and I could just feel Craig's eyes staring into my temple. This was not good. I had to act fast!

"N-no! I'm straight!" I said in a hurry. Clyde's expression faltered only a second before it became smug again.

"Don't lie," he ran a hand through his brown hair, "I'll get you two together no matter what it takes."

"Shut up," Craig finally said, flipping Clyde off before walking to his next class. Oh great, now he was angry! He's gonna never want to talk to me again! I'm disgusting in his eyes! Horrid! Ugly! Annoying! Useless! St- "Tweek. Hurry up."

I blinked, confused as to why Craig had stopped and turned towards me when I realized that we had next period together. "O-oh! Right!" I scurried over to him and once we were next to each other, he started walking again. We walked in awkward silence the rest of the way. Maybe it wasn't awkward to him, but to me it was the worst silence imaginable. I was stuck with my thoughts, the thoughts that were killing me with every step I took. 

Because I'm in love with Craig Tucker, and I'll never be with him.