Chapter 11

The girls shared their goodbyes as Miren stepped down at the public bus stop. Alone, she was supplied with nothing more than her suitcase and her fleeting optimism.

She was used to solitude—even preferred it at times. But she wasn't merely hiding here. She'd had to claim Rinzen as a new home. And she was almost confident that it wouldn't claim her back.

With a sigh, she started for the gated entrance of the learning institution. She examined the black, intricate iron fence, and the forest green and midnight blue school crest that hung on both sides of the security booth. She showed the guard her temporary paper ID card. The older man nodded, and then she was in.

Miren took note of the red rose bushes lining the gate from the inside. There was a center fountain about fifty feet away from her, and she could see a collection of newer brick buildings designed to look historical hiding in the horizon behind it. The grass was greener here, almost absolute, and it was lush and leveled as if it were carpet. She walked along cobblestone path, trying to put her mind at ease. But she didn't know where to go until she looked up. A sign pointing southward led to the main office. Why not start there?

Although the campus appeared to be rather large and flat, she noticed that it was a bit steep as she felt pressure on her thighs while pulling her suitcase uphill. It was a professional development day, which meant that there was no school this Monday. The fact relaxed Miren. She didn't have to be assimilated—or judged—just yet.

Her mind surged as she headed toward the main office building. She could recall Chara saying: "The less you think about it, the more natural it will become!"

But it just felt like wasted advice. Although it was appropriate, it just seemed easier said than done. Miren wasn't mad at her efforts, though. Without Chara, she never would have been able to come here. And so far, the situation wasn't a trainwreck.

She walked into the main office, pulling open a black door. She studied the white marble that also held the school's crest. Rinzen was a newer school, not just by look, but also by smell.

It was contemporary; no sacred cross in sight, no odor of lingering incense or musky, old, catholic church-ness.

She pressed on forward, passing posters promoting the school's mission statement, their beloved raccoon mascot, and numerous trophies hidden behind clear glass. The hallways were even clearer, allowing her to take in the scope of the regal institution. Yet somehow it felt darker here—there wasn't a sunroof, and the windows they had didn't generate as much light as they looked like they would.

But it was okay. St. Rosemunde was bright and sunny all the time, as if to mock her about how dull and dismal her life was. Well not anymore.

"Hello." Miren spun around, realizing she'd absentmindedly passed by the receptionist's office.

"Um, hello," Miren said, forcing a lower voice. She almost forgot that she had to sound manly.

"Hello," the young receptionist repeated again, sliding a drawer open to pull out a file. "You must be Miles Ellison," he concluded, taking a look at her. "The headmaster is waiting to see you. You can leave your stuff here. Take a left after this hall."

With a nod she took his direction and approached a dark wood-stained door that had a golden plate that read HEADMASTER. She held her breath before knocking.

"Ah, welcome," the headmaster said, opening the door. "Mr. Ellison, correct?"

Miren didn't respond at first. She had to remember who she was pretending to be. "Yes."

"Take a seat," the man said, motioning to a chair in front of him. Miren fought off her nerves. His tone was relaxed. Friendly. But the last time she was told that, things didn't go so well.