Chapter 32

Mission: Homecoming was in full throttle, with students dancing and soaking up the lively party atmosphere. And despite the fact that Miren wasn't even sort of ready, she knew that the time to act was now.

The homecoming designers were true to the spy theme; the mess hall had been transformed into a secret lair, with gray lighting and golden streamers lining a few tables next to the window. Toward the refreshment table were the James Bond-like cutouts as promised, though most of the male students gravitated toward the Bond girls. There was a metallic photo booth in the corner where some girls could be seen doing the signature gun pose from Charlie's Angels.

Miren sighed as she silently observed the party landscape. If she wanted to enjoy herself, this would be the time. The coronation wouldn't be for another half-hour. And after that,  she would have to carry out the final plan. Sure, it would be easier than the midnight heist at Rosemunde, but there was also more at stake. If she got caught, she had a live audience of seven hundred to see her crash and burn.  

So why not dance a little? Even if most of the students were either dry humping or literally hopping up and down to a catchy Rihanna tune. Yet, somehow the nun chaperones seemed more lax than usual. Maybe someone spiked the punch. 

"We won the football match," Jeno said, approaching her from behind. He took a moment to watch the party with her. He frowned, though it was hard to see in the flashing lights. "This is stupid."

Miren exhaled. "Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so." Her voice was just above a yell. It was hard to hear here, and if she weren't so anxious for later tonight, the idea of getting premature hearing-loss would have nerved her. But that didn't explain why Jeno was here. With her.

"Go dance. Have fun. I'm fine observing," she said, crossing her arms over her suit. She didn't know how guys dealt with wearing these things. Especially in poorly ventilated dance halls. Turning toward Jeno, she noticed he had removed his jacket.

He stood his ground. "Why don't you?"

Miren scoffed. It wasn't that she didn't want to have a good time. She just didn't know how. In the corner of her eye, she could see Wallace and Chara dancing in a group with Chester, Henry and a couple of Rosemunde girls. And although she knew that they wouldn't oppose her if she decided to join them, it just didn't feel appropriate.

She was a girl disguised as a boy. So honestly, the cutouts were the only pleasing dance partners. "I will when you go."

"If you don't remember, I used to be quite the observer," Jeno said. "It feels natural to just watch."

So they watched together, like awkward kids picked last for kickball. Miren sighed again, growing bored of the whole thing. "I'm going to the dorm. I'll come back in time for the crowning." Although she usually avoided social events to prevent being blind-sided by Penelope, she was realizing she actually had no taste in them. 

Jeno shook his head. "You know very well that if I can't leave, you can't either."

"Jeno! Get over here!" Levi motioned his arm wildly for him to come over. With him were Karsha, Adam, and Theodora. Jeno clenched his jaw, but followed.

"You too Miles!" Miren suppressed a groan. Why are people so inclusive all of a sudden? They weren't two months ago. And when it came to dancing, she preferred to be ignored. But she played follow the leader and descended further into the dance floor. It was hotter—more crowded—here.

The song changed and there was an enthusiastic roar within the audience. Jumping in the air, most of the crowd began moving to pre-rehearsed groove. Karsha nudged Miren in the shoulder to move along as Theodora held Jeno's hands, leading him in the iconic boogie.