Chapter 21

When Miren was practically frisked at midnight, she was convinced Jeno had lied to her.

A hand capped over her mouth, preventing her from screaming. Which was probably a good thing, because a high-pitched wail would probably send the wrong message, considering the obvious. Her eyes tried to focus in the dark dorm room, but panic blinded her. She was then lifted to her feet, with hands pushing her—guiding her—haphazardly toward the door.

She kept her silence as she walked, until she realized that she wasn't too fond of the idea of an unknown hand—and a clammy hand at that—clamped over her mouth. Suspended somewhere between the land of pure tiredness and disregard of her attacker's wellbeing, she bit down on the hand. Hard.

There was yelling—a deeper voice that she felt she recognized—but she scurried toward the door anyway, her fingers scratching and searching for an invisible doorknob, before she hastily flicked on the lights.

And there they were. Axel and Cliff. Miren's face spoiled as she touched her lips. That must have been Cliff's dirty hand, speaking for the way he was swaying it in the air.

"The bastard bit me!" he said, holding his wrist, inspecting the damage. He turned to Miren with his bottom lip quivering. "Are you happy?"

Miren scoffed. "What the hell is happening?" she questioned, restraining from yelling. It was later than late. She rubbed the sleep from her face, even though her eyes were wide, glazed over with frustration.

"Initiation," Axel said. Miren cocked a tired eyebrow. "We're supposed to drag new upperclassmen into the woods for the pre-homecoming ceremony, but apparently you're too feisty for Cliff."

"You didn't have to bite the shit out of my hand," the other boy whined, soothing his wounded hand with his own lips. The sight was almost silly, how weak and frail he seemed despite his beyond huge stature. She shrugged. It's not like she drew blood. Or kicked him in the groin.

"You didn't have to touch me," Miren countered, crossing her arms over her chest. Her chest. That's what she was worried about. Somehow she had the good sense to double up on sports bras, even though she technically didn't have to. Not with Jeno in the loop. But as she scanned the room, she noticed he wasn't here.

Still, she was wearing a loose, thick navy sweatshirt and sweatpants. She decided she was boy enough for now.

"What time is it?" Miren asked Axel. "And where's Jeno?"

"Two thirty," he answered, examining the time from his cellphone before sliding it back into his pajama pocket. Miren rolled her eyes. Didn't they care that they had class tomorrow? They were lucky that she didn't have a test this week, considering she was already playing catch-up.

"As for Jen," Axel continued, his eyes bouncing with too much amusement for the hour, "he's outside with the others. So let's get going."

They dispersed into the hallway, joining some more students as they descended downstairs. Either the students were very good at sporting a calm face, because it appeared that no one else suffered the shocking wake up call Miren had. Of course they were groggily, some stumbled over their heavy feet like the sleep deprived zombies they were, but there seemed to be a buzz of excitement in the air. Miren could only hope they were entering something exciting. She didn't want to be walking toward her doom. But something about walking along side Axel and Cliff—who didn't seem bright enough to execute a bro-napping—dispelled her worry.

Still, there was something different about the people she had encountered lately. It was like they were on her side. And although Miren was reluctant to accept these mild alliances, rejection wasn't really an option for her.