Chapter 30

On a cloudy, rather unremarkable day, the Homecoming Court assembled.

They met at the Arc, like they were supposed to, and waited, like they weren't. Although the air was chill, there was a sort of exhilaration effervescing in the environment that warmed it.

But among the candidates, Miren kept her guard up. Truthfully, being here felt pointless, but a small part of her didn't mind it. Being wanted, even if it was just to make sure a bunch of popular kids formed a straight line, was always a welcomed sensation. She even had a clipboard.

"Cheer up," Jeno said as he approached her. She rolled her eyes.

"Coming from you, Mr. Angry Eyes?" Despite the fact that Penelope was only ten feet away from them, the only things that even sort of bothered her were the weather, and the fact that today was Judgment Day.

Well, not technically. But Miren still couldn't wrap her mind around what would happen today. On top of pretending like she gave a damn about coordinating homecoming, she still had to administer the final part of the plan. And she saw more ways it could go wrong than right.

"Look who became friends," Jemma said, waltzing up to them. Her dark blue eyes scanned Miren's before settling on Jeno. "I never took you for the forgive and forget type."

He rolled his eyes, offering her an apathetic look. "I'm not."

"Miles," she then said, ignoring her brother's comment. "Smile! Today's gonna be fun."

Miren forced one (her new name was an anagram of the stupid word, anyway), but she suddenly wished that the optimistic girl would leave. Fun. Of course, today was supposed to be fun—for Jemma anyway. She honestly appeared to be the only person who was genuinely excited to be here. 

Although Penelope was grinning, it didn't show in her eyes, which were basically scowling. Artemis looked like she was trying not to look guilty of something. Theodora had a polite, earthy air that didn't quite resonate with the position she was running for. And Miren didn't really know the other students to make anything of their expressions. She figured they knew they wouldn't win anyway.

"Like my dress?" Jemma said with a laugh, the wind causing it to twirl lightly.

"You look nice," Jeno said flatly. "Now leave. Isn't your boyfriend getting lonely?" Probably not, considering the fact that Klondike seemed very invested in a conversation about football with Parker.

"Whatever," she retorted. "I'll leave. If I don't see you until tonight, good luck, little brother." With a wave, she vanished.

Miren pursed her lips. "Tell me why she's the life of the party and you're the death of it?"

Jeno shrugged. "I could go into that depressing chapter of my life, but as Jemma said, today's supposed to be fun." He was smirking, even if he seemed to be doing so just to make a point. He looked rather handsome smiling, but the forced contraction of his mouth was a weird sight for Miren.

She cringed. "Stop doing that." He stopped. "Besides, what's the worse that's ever happened to you? What, not enough caviar to go around?"

Jeno shook his head. "I'm not that rich."

"Said the boy riding around in a Mercedes."

"Like I said, it's not mine." He straightened his tie. "And I let you ride in it, didn't I?"

"You know what? You're right. Being an accomplice makes me feel so much better." She narrowed her eyes. "The least you can do is tell me who it belongs to."