Chapter 17

"You want to join Student Administration?" Jeno asked, raising an eyebrow. 

Miren nodded, clutching her idea folder in her hands. Three days had progressed rather slowly, but painlessly. Ms. Cowdry wasn't victimizing her, and although Mr. Gales' orchestra class was difficult, she was adjusting. Plus, she didn't even feel that nervous in front of her peers right now. The executives, who included Jeno and Levi, stood poised on a raised platform in the front of the lecture hall.

"Whether or not you want me to actually be part of the organization is your decision," she said after a while. "I would just like to apply for the position of Homecoming Coordinator."

"Why?" Levi, the vice president, then asked. "I mean, not to sound rude, but what makes you think you're qualified?"

Miren fought the urge to roll her eyes. She wasn't expecting them to just give her the position, but she wasn't expecting this much opposition! But what did she expect? In the few days she had been here, Jeno hadn't said more than ten words to her.

She didn't get his deal. Maybe she came off as weird. But he also came off as an asshole.

I just need him on my good side, she considered, that's all. She pressed her lips into a firm line, thinking of her qualifications. She didn't want to list off the obvious, like her high GPA, or the even sadder fact that she used extracurricular activities such as this to keep her from wallowing in her own self pity at St. Rosemunde. 

Her eyes scanned the group, resting on Levi for a while, before fixing on Jeno. "Well, I don't see anyone else here for the job."

"That's a good point," Levi admitted, as if he himself hadn't questioned Miren's credibility in the first place. He grinned, flashing a white smile that was almost as dazzling as his light brown eyes. "I say we give him a chance. You should've seen the way he put Ms. Cowdry in her place." Some of the students began to chirp about the showdown that felt like years ago.

"I couldn't care less," Jeno said, his words silencing the crowd. His eyes fell on Miren. "Why don't you show us what you got?"

Miren nodded, flipping through her folder. "I just have a few ideas for homecoming, that's all. I drafted a beach, big city, outer-space, and spy theme--"

"Spy? That sounds really cool!" Chester exclaimed from the front row. Miren smiled lightly.

"See?" she said, motioning to Jeno. "They like it. Why are you being so reluctant?"

"Because I don't know you," he said plainly. However, his expression was borderline harsh, if not critical. But Miren was getting used to his favorite facial expression.

"I say we give him a go," said Levi, "No one's ever bothered to take up the position. Maybe we'll be able to have a homecoming that doesn't suck," he said. "I'm so sick of the Roz girls picking dumbass themes. I mean, when they suggested Final Fantasy  last year, I didn't expect it to be all sparkles and unicorns..."

Some of the guys in the audience started laughing. Miren scratched the back of her neck, trying not to feel uncomfortable. Jeno's eyes met her's before he turned to Levi, who only offered an I-honestly-don't-give-a-fuck shrug in response.

Jeno sighed. "Since you're the only one here, I can't reject you, can I?" he said with a slight pout. "Alright. I'm running late for tennis practice. You're in. Make sure you're at the homecoming assembly to announce our theme." With that, he left the room.