Untitled Third Book: Chapter 9

Please make sure to vote and comment for The Class Reject: A Damsel in Disguise on SwoonReads (see link to the story on my profile page) and enter the cover contest. This probably will be the last update until I announce the finalists for the cover contest (please enter by November 20th, I'll update the original guidelines). Remember, the more you comment/vote, the more inclined I'll be to update new chapters. :)

Chapter 9

Although Jeno wore a habitual frown, something about it today seemed even more somber. Which he realized when students steered clear of his path as he walked the hallway of the main building. Well, more so than usual.

But he wasn't in the mood to humor anyone—not like he ever was. And to make matters worse, the week had only just started. And despite the school year being in that February lull before midterms or the other open house they had to put on in April, it was hard to find any peace in it. He got it; he had no choice but to get over Miren. It just hurt like a bitch.

"And that's why I don't feel," he grumbled as he watched the crowd clear. He had study hall this hour, which meant he technically didn't have to go class, but Mr. Dickens would still take attendance. And Roger had already threatened to tell their parents if he continued to treat school like it was—an epic waste of time. He hissed. "Asshole."

"Good morning to you too, Sunshine," Dr. Edsel mocked before his eyebrows furrowed slightly. "What's gotten you more gloomy than usual?" he folded his arms as Jeno glared at him. That didn't help his cause, but he was feeling pretty causeless. "Honestly, you can do much better than Theodora. You've seen her dad, alopecia areata runs in their family," he also informed him, because he was apparently a doctor doctor too.

"You're holding me up," Jeno told his brother, his gaze falling to the near-deserted hallway. The one-minute bell would probably ring in thirty seconds. "If you excuse me."

"That Penelope chick might be an amateur porn star, but she is loaded and you do need to get laid." He patted Jeno's shoulder as a high chortle of a laugh rippled through his throat. "But seriously though. Smile, would ya?"

"You disgust me."

"And you disappoint me." They were walking now, toward the exit. "You have roughly four months until your senior year is over. I would say it wouldn't kill you to have fun, but something tells me it would." He shrugged, the shoulders of his expensive blazer wrinkling. But he was a monkey is a suit. "Still, sulking around like you lost the love of your life is an epic waste of time."

Not if that was the reason why he was sulking around.

Jeno took a deep breath as the one-minute bell rang loudly. "I just hate feeling helpless."

"Well, in this case you'll be plenty helpful." Dr. Edsel handed him the stack he was carrying. "Deliver these to some of the instructors—Ms. Cowdry too. They're just agendas for our professional development day next week, so no snooping."

"But I'll be late for class." Just then the final bell rang. Great. Dr. Edsel pushed him toward the door.

"Principal's orders. Take this hour to get out of your little funk," he said firmly. "But no more than an hour. Got it?"

Jeno rolled his eyes before shoving open the door.

***

"He must have loved the shit out of his grandpa," Levi whispered to Parker as Ms. Cowdry lectured a student in the front for not turning in their Black Panther essay.