Chapter 2: MARE

Upon waking up, I felt tears in my eyes. I had been dreaming, but it seems that I had also been crying.

I saw Maven in the trail of my dreams. I saw myself with him, and thought of how different he was from what other people think. He was strong, he was brave. He was everything that Cal was not. The others didn't see it, but I did.

I remember now. I was crying for him. My tears were for the Maven I lost. I couldn't shake the feeling that he broke me, like he trampled on the glass of my trust.

I looked around and saw Cal. Cal, whom I thought was the enemy in this, is now beside me, in the mercy of the Scarlet Guard. Farley sneered at the sight of him. Afterall, he is the prince. He is one of the Silvers who treated us Reds like slaves.

They had him bonded, and I thought it was foolish of Farley to do so. "Release him. He's a friend. He helped me escape."

Farley stared at me with sharp eyes. There was a new scar on her face, probably from the escape earlier. "He is a traitor."

"He's a fire. He can burn you down to ashes. He can bloody take the bonds off his own, and burn this train and the rest of us. He can take on all of you alone," there was no denying it, Cal was that strong. He was a bred soldier, the flame of Norta. Even if it was obvious that he had drained himself and had almost drown on the arena, I knew that he could do that if he wanted to. I was surprised to hear him chuckle.

"It's fine, Mare. They're just following protocol. I respect them." His face look calm despite our situation, but his eyes were sad. I don't know if it's for the kingdom he ruined, the father he killed, or the brother he lost. Maybe it's for all.

I look at Cal and see that his shoulders are hunched low. The heir to the throne, now a castaway from his beloved palace. I pitied him, because I, too, was lost.

I feel my heart slowing breaking. I spotted Kilorn in a corner, and at least he's alive. That is a relief.

"We're not going to trust Silvers anymore, Mare, especially another prince," Kilorn hissed, staring at Cal with disgust. My heart ached. I knew those words well.

I closed my eyes and heaved a sigh. My body hurts, and I know that we still have greater dangers to face. I imagine Maven, tearing all the corners of his kingdom to find us, to find me.

Before I had the chance to argue with any of them, I see someone vaguely familiar approaching. I gasped upon seeing him, because it was definitely Shade, my brother whom I thought was dead.

Shade was grinning like he's always been alive. But of course he was.

"Shade.." I still couldn't believe that he was alive. Shade was my closest brother. "I thought they had you, because you're a part of the Scarlet Guard."

"Well, none of them could catch me," he said, grinning even more. He was a meter away from me before I realized that he was in front of me. No, he is everywhere. Shade, my brother, is like me. A red and silver.

"You're a swift," Cal said.

Shade shook his head. "I teleport. Your swifts are fast, I'd like to call myself a Jumper."

I flinched at the thought of Shade, like me. Deep inside, I knew I was happy. If I could just find the others, maybe we stand a chance against the  Silvers. And Maven.

I couldn't bear to think about him anymore. I tried to stay focus.

"We need to get ready. We know the Silvers will find us quick, with you both in our tow," Farley hissed. This did not make me angry. She was just stating a fact.

"What's the plan?" I found my voice again. Cal sat up straighter. He would never miss a chance to battle.

I knew that we were the guards' choice for now. The lightning and the fire.

But can I ever face Maven again? I dismissed that doubt in the farthest thought of my brain.