Chapter 14: MAVEN

I ease out of the palace through the tunnels again and make my way through the dark streets. Sometimes I would stop and look behind me, sweat coming down my forehead. I chuckled to myself in the dark. Stupid, Maven. When you can read minds and create fire, then why should you be afraid?

Silence creeps through the streets, and the wind blows gently with me. I reach a narrow passageway at the end of the alley, and I enter without hesitation. At the end of it lies an old and rusty lamppost, its light flickering quietly in the deep dark. It reveals a wooden doorway, and I knock three taps on its brass handle, a ring on face of a carved dragon.

An eye appears on a hole at the middle of the door, and I lift my dark cloak to reveal my face, just enough for it to spot my eyes. The door creaks open, and I slither in.

"What a very unusual time, your Majesty," the old man said, his tired eyes scrutinizing me. He travels his hand on his white beard.

"Nothing should be unusual for me, and you know that old Will," I snapped, looking around the empty space, with only a dim lamp lighted. He beckoned me to follow, and we walked down the house's hall, my boots clicking on its stone cold surface. Old Will leads the way until we come to a dusty seating room, a fireplace on its hearth. I notice the man in seated on the largest chair, his rugged face staring at me. Although he is built like a soldier, he does not intimidate me.

"No need for you to pretend that it's just me, Will, and you here you know, I can sense your men lurking in the shadows," I said casually, while I gesture for Will to bring me a chair so I can face the man. His small figure stumbles around the room until he finds the best chair, even more than what the man was sitting on, and pushed it to me. I said nothing as I sit down.

I glance around the room, and one by one figures appear from behind the shadows, with their red bandannas covering their mouths so I can only see half of their faces. I snort. As if it would make them any less than what I already know about them.

The Colonel shifts on his seat, and grunts. "Seems like we cannot hide anything from you, boy."

"Watch your mouth," I reply, playing with fire on my hands. The guards around me back out nervously.

"You are just like any Silver, and we've handled people who are worst than you," he grumbles, but still staring intently at the flame.

I laugh so hard, hitting my knee with effect, that even old Will cannot help but chuckle at my merriness. "Oh really? You think that I'm just like my brother, whom you've captured? You think you've seen worst when you had her?" I run my fingers through the air, the fire following like a living creature dancing in the dark.

"Why she is more than you, is she not? She bleeds red but she has powers like you damn Silvers," he spat.

I stop, and looked through him, caging his eyes. His eyes widen, but his body froze. He could not look at his guards for help, and I lean in so he could see my face reflecting the fire on the hearth. "I am more than she is, Colonel. Do you want me to show you?"

His thoughts were of panic surrender that made me laugh mockingly. I release him, and he gasps for air, as if  an invisible hand had been choking him.

"What.. What did you... What was that?" He looks furiously at me, but before he can shout orders at his men, I had their minds on my control. The Colonel realizes what was happening, and he stares at me, afraid. "What are you? You are a monster!!" His shout echoes the room, and Will shivers. He did not need to be controlled, knowing that he was so scared of me was enough.

"You cannot hurt me, Colonel. You may have done that to my brother and to her, but not me. I am the worst you'll ever encounter, greater than a Silver and Red both," I stared, making his arms stay on his sides. He struggles, sweat tickling his face.

"I don't want to force you into this, Colonel. But I can make you. Are you going to agree, or are you going to test me?" 

I let his mouth be free. "They escaped. Her and the prince. They took one of my airjets and flew."

I shook my head. Of course. Mare would be acting already. "What else?"

"My daughter is with her, and that soldier too. The one who was thought to be dead, the girl's brother. And the other one, her friend." I release him, and this time he has learned his lesson.

I nodded. "You don't know where she's heading, ei?" He nods. "Very well. That's all I want." I stood up to leave.

"But if we are to serve you, we want something in return. We still stand for what we want, King. We cannot have your kind on top of us any longer," he calls out. I stop midway and turned to him.

"I do not care for anyone else's place in this kingdom. It's not just me, if I give you want you want, all the Silvers would hunt you all down. I know you think your cause can do this, but beware. We are ruthless and powerful. As if you don't already know that," I rolled my eyes.

Now it's the Colonel who chuckles. "You don't know anything, my King," he hissed the last words. "We have people not only from your kingdom."

"I'm afraid I do know that," I replied, smirking in the dark. The Colonel's eyes widen again, and I could feel the throb of his heart on his brain. "If I see anyone from your Scarlet Guard on my own, I will be merciful. But if any fool falls in the hands of other Silvers, or in mine while I am with others, I will not hesitate to kill. It is my duty."

"Then what do you want us to do?" He growls.

I sighed. "I do not want a world where I cannot reign in peace. I want to be King. But I cannot rule with all the rebellion. I can make the Silvers see that your kind do not deserve to be treated as slaves, especially since there's already a mutation. We need to live together. It's what the future dictates. But I cannot do it in your ways. Rebellion will only make me side with my kind," I said, looking out through the window, the light of the moon even brighter than fire.

"You want us to wait? We've been doing that for a hundred years!" He bellowed, pointing a shaking finger at me. "There is no hope left. We have to fight for it."

"You are fighting not for equality, but for another reign!" I growled back, and he steps backward, afraid of me. "If you will not follow me, then we have a deal. If you go publicly against me, I will have the Silvers hunt your scents. Although I assure you, they will do that even without my bidding. I am your hope."

The Colonel does not answer, and I leave him. Will trails behind me as we walk out. No guard tired to stop me. They already know that even when I am alone, I am dangerous.

"You've changed, your Majesty. You are stronger," Will said as he tries to keep up with my pace.

"Keep in touch with me. I need to be aware of what the Guard will do," I said as I put on my hood again and buried out to the night.