Chapter 26: MAVEN

I try to sleep, but my thoughts are clouded. I watch as the fire I play with travel on my hands, so bright yet so cold.

Whenever I am alone, I think about how it is to be this powerful yet empty. I myself do not know the extent of my powers, but I know my desires.

"You're freaking late," I call out to the shadows while a figure emerges from the curtains.

"Boy King, I'm not at your service," Diana said, her hair covering most of her face. She turns around, alert, watching out for threats before coming near. I can see her tense.

"Seriously, Diana, you should not be afraid of anyone in the room except for me," I said, sitting up straighter, the fire in my hands growing bigger. I toss it into the air without warning, aiming at a few inches beside her face.

Diana huffed. "You're a boy. Should I be afraid?"

"Have you not learned then? Yet you come here because you know that only I have the powers to help you," I said, not even coming out of my bed, showing that I am not threatened.

Why should I be?

"I come to you because I have no choice. We're powerful than you think," she angrily whispers, her eyes blazing.

I chuckled. "Don't you think I don't know that? I have you all on file!" I joked, laughing at the silliness of it. I could track them at once if I wanted to and she knew it. I watched her eyes take the defeat.

"Don't worry, I'm powerful than you think too," I said.

"You're not as half as valuable as Cal."

I did not need to move, staying relaxed in my position as I watched her gasp for air, her breathes in panic take. I take the glass of water beside my bed and calmly drink as if she was not holding on to her dear life on the floor beside me.

"Tss. Wrong move there by staring me down, Diana. And I thought you were smart. Anyway, I don't even need your eye contact to control you!" I laugh silently, shaking my head at the desperate situation she was in.

"So.. back to where we came off. You must convince her to follow the tracks that I'm giving you, since I don't know how Mother's hunting you down.. oh yes of course sorry about that," I pretend to make the gesture of clapping my hands to let go of Diana's mind, watching her hold her neck.

"Don't try to attack.. you know how that will end. Here, have some water," I casually point to the pitcher. I read thoughts of hatred and disgust from her head, but her shaking hands take the water and thirstily drink.

"Follow my tracks, Diana. Convince her. Use Shade if you must. You can't fall into my mother's hands. I know she's hard headed but keep her steady," I say, so typical of Mare.

"Perhaps your brother could help. Afterall, they do sleep together," she said, her voice choking, but her mind floods me with images of Cal and Mare together.

My body remains calm, with only my eyes seeing fire. But my mind knows that I would kill Cal on sight if he tries to swoon Mare before my eyes. Just the thought of it makes me want to end this once and for all.

"I have to go. Give me the signals. I'm sure you know how to find us," Diana said.

"I'll escort you."

"How generous, boy," she said, stopping as she waited for me to get up.

"You wish. I'll keep them in bay. But I'm not standing. I'll do it from here," I reply, tucking myself in bed.

I watch her figure disappear into the woods before I stare back at the huge ceiling, aiming fire.

"Well brother.. let's both hope you have your hands off her the next time I set my eyes on you."

------

HEY GUYS!!!

Gosh. You are all amazing!! Thanks for being so patient although it takes me months to update! Seriously. Life is really surprising sometimes you just come out of the earth's rotation!

But everyday, new notifs keep coming in and I tell you, you all make my day!

Halloween's near! Will anyone of you here cosplay Mare? 😊 Do send me photos of your costumes!

Love lots.