Chapter 22: MAVEN

Mare's touch still lingers on my skin, and her question still hangs on my thoughts.

Maven, choose me.

It bothers me. It bothers me because I have already chosen her, and yet she is asking me of it. It bothers me because holding her in my arms, kissing her, inhaling her scent, just makes me want to damn everything and be with her. And it bothers me because I know that I cannot do this, unless I want to condemn her to a life of a castaway, always running, with a bounty on her head.

Like her life now.

She must understand that I cannot simply leave everything behind. How can I give her everything when I'll have nothing to give? Her last kiss still haunts my lips.

"What is bothering you now, son?"

I flinch. I had let my guard down, not knowing that my mother now joins me. I try to stand taller, the ever pretender that I am.

"I was just thinking about the mission that we have. I see that you drove the other newbloods in prison? What for?" I move around the throne room to ease my nerves. I try not to act nervous, but I was. She had been acting without me, and I can only guess what my mother is really planning.

Her regal face is pale, yet alert. "Oh Ptolemus filled you with this? Hmm."

"I'm surprised that you trust him now more than you trust me, really," I try to edge jealousy on my words. It's easy to play as the obedient son.

Her silver gown glides over the floor, as if she's floating. I try to read her eyes, but she guards them well. Years of practice made her an expert predator. I hold on to the sword on my side, my grip tight on its handle while the rest of my body tries to remain relaxed.

My mother's eyes stared into me, so like my own. "Of course, Ptolemus is nothing," her whisper is like a dead sound in the air, so cold yet so strong. "But I see that you've been busy lately."

I gulped, but I raise my eyebrow in return. She must not see through me. "Being King means having duties, mother. I believe you're aware of this."

She doesn't move, her blank face still focused on me. I return her stare. "You are not afraid now," she says.

"You made me this, mother," I reply coldly. I do not know why she is even surprised, since she has been training me from birth. She honed me into the person I am now.

A smile slowly creeps on her face that it sent shivers through me, despite the sunshine flowing freeing in the room. "Yes, you are my son," she says before walking out to leave.

But I believe that there is more than what she had told me.

******

Once again, I am out on the dark streets, although this time I am more cautious. I locate the place that had been left for me on a message, careful of my movements. I am not keen about being out of the palace if not to see Mare.

I get inside the location, and Old Will again greets me at the door. He looked tired, as always. He did not speak, but gestured for me to walk into the table where his master is seated.

"Well, Colonel. Shouldn't you be the one coming to me instead of I to you?" I say, not bothering to remove my cloak.

"Your palace is well-guarded. We cannot go in without an attack," he admits, his eyes avoiding me. Foolish of him to think that I can only control his mind through eye contact, but good move in that because that is when my whisper ability becomes strong.

I smirk at this fact. "So what do you want now?"

"Where are the newbloods? Why is your mother killing them?" He asks, and I notice that only two men came with him now. Far more easier to escape if ever I decide to play with him again.

"She's imprisoning them, though I wonder why this is of your concern. You want them dead too, don't you? You're more afraid of them than us," I say, taking a seat in front of him. He tenses.

"We need to know if we are to give you our alliance," he says.

I laughed loud. Of course he wants to know what would he benefit from me before giving me his trust. Though I doubt that he will ever trust me, but I'm glad to return the favor.

"I do not know, Colonel. My mother obviously has plans,"

"Then you are her lapdog,"

I freeze, and he makes the mistake of challenging me with a stare. I grip his mind, though I allow his thoughts to be free.

"She doesn't know what you are? You are ready to turn your back on her for us?" He says, sweating, though now he did not dare fight to move. He knows it is useless.

"I am not doing this for you or your kind, I am doing this for me so don't expect much, and whether my mother knows about me or not is none of your concern. Unless you tell her and want to end your life on the process?" I say, urging his body guards to pounce on me anytime now that I have their leader. But they're more afraid than he is.

"You are just a boy. You are not even there for her. What if she doesn't want you anymore?"

On a swift movement, I take my sword into his throat, his helpless body unable to defend himself. His men are already on my command. "She will. She will always want me. Don't you dare talk to me, Red. Remember what color your blood is."

I walk away without even bothering to release them first. They will be out of it once I'm out of range. But I cannot deny that the Colonel's words sent an awakening thought inside me.

-------
A/N: So sorry to keep you waiting, but I'm trying! We're near there. I hope you stick with me until the end!