Chapter 4: MARE

As we approach Naercey, Cal and I get ourselves ready. Together with Shade, we are the only ones who can face the army of Silvers that await us. As much as the Scarlet Guard is trained for fighting, they cannot fight like the Silvers.

Cal oriented us with the possibilities we were facing. Because he was raised to be King, he knows how Maven would think strategically. Right on cue, I watch the airjets that fly above us, beautiful deadly things that would bring us down. I watch them circle the sky as I feel their electricity hum on my hands.

Before I could protest, Farley took Cal away and left me with Kilorn and Shade. The airjets were sending bombs to get us, and we ran, Farley barking instructions through the deafening sounds.

"To the North side! To the tunnels!" She grabbed more of the Scarlet Guard and ran off. "Shade! To the park side!" My brother nods, understanding fully what she meant. Another bomb drops nearby, and I could feel hazardous smoke in my lungs. We knew that we only have one option: Run.

Adrenaline rushes through me, and makes me want to stand up and fight back. But I would not risk Shade and Kilorn's lives, and my brother, as if reading my thoughts, connected his arms with mine and jumped.

For a while, I thought the world was spinning so fast I had to tighten my grip on Shade. But after a few seconds I managed to calm myself down by remembering that this was my brother's power, buying us time. As I learned to quickly get used to his pace, I begin to shoot lightning at the airjets above.

I dimly remember that Cal was somewhere behind, and I shouted, "Shade, I am not leaving without him." My brother already knows who I am talking about, and says, "The prince is coming with us. I give you my word."

"I don't trust your word," I have had enough of trust lately. But before Shade could think of a disapproving reply, I hear a rhythm beyond the explosions around us; the rhythm of a thousand marching feet.

"We have to go, Mare," Shade said, finally getting words. I looked back and saw the thousands of Reds in the front line of the army that was hunting us, and I knew that they had no place in this battle. They were all dragged here to die.

"Mare, do something," Kilorn shouts at me. I see his eyes full of rage at the gruesome thought the Reds were made to do. But I knew that my power wasn't enough to face this.

"No, I'm sorry. I can't do anything," I admit to the defeat, while tears sting my eyes. Maven must know that this act would make me weak, that is why I need to stand firm.

"We have to go now. Kilorn, come with us or I'll leave you," Shade says. My brother looks at my shamed face and nods. He understands that we cannot surrender.

Shade grips us and jumps again, through the trees like the breeze. My stomach twists as the world around us, and Kilorn worst. His bandages host fresh blood.

Shade stops us short, his honey-colored eyes sweeping back and forth. For one frightening second, I fear he might be lost. "Wait," he says, knowing something we don't.

He stares upward, at the skeleton of a once great structure. It's massive, taller than the highest spire of the Hall of the Sun, wider than the great Caesar's Square of Archeon. A tremor runs down my spine when I realize—it's moving. Back and forth, side to side, swaying on twisting supports already worn by centuries of neglect. As we watch, it starts to tip, slumping slowly at first, like an old man settling into his chair. Then faster and faster, falling above us and around us.

"Hold on to me," Shade shouts over the din, adjusting his grip on us both. He wraps his arm around my shoulders, crushing me to him, almost too tight to bear. I expect the now unpleasant sensation of jumping, but it never comes. Instead, I'm greeted by a more familiar sound.
Gunfire.

This time it isn't Shade's ability that saves me, but his flesh. He grunts as a bullet bore into his arm, and more comes aimed at us. Without even thinking, I knew the people behind this.

Ptolemus was directing bullets as fast as he can at us, and Evangeline was at his side. Together the magnetrons led the army, and with Shade down they were closing on to us.

My brother looks at me with steady eyes. "Run to the river, Mare. Find Farley."

"I am not leaving you here," never would I let myself lose him again.

"Then what do we do Mare?" Kilorn's eyes are pleading for answers. I do not know what the right answer is, so I scan the area.

"Take Shade with you, Kilorn," I use the voice of Mareena, the one I was taught to use to demand obedience. Kilorn shook his head violently.

"If you think we're leaving you, Mare..."

"Run!" I commanded. Without hesitating anymore, Kilorn obeys, and Shade can't do anything but limp along, leaving me behind. I summoned lightning, charging into the magnetrons and telkies that were clearing the area to make way for the army.

When the army sees me, they all began to shout orders. "It's the lightning girl! Hold your fire!" I took the opportunity to summon the airjets that were flying over me, ready to bring them down to the army. But the voice of Ptolemus draws me back, speaking with such rage.

"Make way for the King!"

The army parts and reveals Maven. I stagger back, not expecting him. His army I understand, but him himself, I did not. Cal was the soldier, not him. I wonder if he came here to watch me die again.

He approaches me, and my hands betray me, shaking as I wait for him to get near.