Chapter 23: MAVEN

I awake in sweat. I moved out of my bed fast, as if it is the one causing me discomfort, but my own body betrays me.

I breathe heavily, my nightmares still haunting me. I see Mare's face, and think of her, but I know that she must be asleep right now, surrounded by people who were willing to fight for her. People who willingly followed her. Her brother, who will protect his sister, Farley, who will protect the legacy, and Kilorn, who will shed his red blood for Mare and whom Mare will shed her newblood for his safety. But Cal's face flashed into my mind, the mighty Cal who will kill me for Mare, who let himself be casted away from his own throne and stand by Mare's side to fight openly. I see him in Mare's room, holding her throughout the night..

Frustrated, I grab my own hair, as if I can physically stop my mental fears. I wish I could, because I am strong. I am stronger than they know.

But am I really?

I walk to the windows, and let the night air consume my lungs. The palace, my palace is suffocating me.

I feel my head hurt, and tell myself that it must be from the exhaustion of always keeping my head on guard. But I have to trust no one, I must bear with this on my own.

Yes. You have no one.

I have no one.

My own voice creeps into my thoughts, reminding me that underneath this facade, I am just the Maven who has no one. I am the Maven no one gives a second thought to, the Maven no one even knows if not for the name of the second prince.

Yes. Maven, you are Maven. The Shadow. Just the shadow. The shadow of the Nortan flame. Without the fire, you will not exist.

"Enough!" I shout, my voice echoing throughout the night. Little black birds fly away from the nearby trees, disturbing the silent starry sky. I shout again, throwing commands at the air, because I am King, no one can doubt me. I am the one who will raise Norta out of ashes.

I look around, but no one is there.

Yes. I am alone..

-----
A/N: this is just almost 400 words, but I want you all to understand how Maven is coping up with everything. Afterall, this fanfic is about his side. Sorry for the long wait! As you all know I'm graduating college in a few weeks so I'm kinda busy.. But THANK YOU SO MUCH. I LOVE YOUR COMMENTS! Feel free to leave one behind. I love hearing about what you think.

For Bree_Loves_U . 😊 Because you love Glass Sword so much. Pls don't cry now! I'm updating as much as I can.

STAY TUNED!!! ❤️