Chapter 9: MAVEN

The island, Tuck, is beyond Norta's jurisdiction. It's already halfway through the Northlands, and since nobody really lives on it, it is a perfect base for the Scarlet Guard.

And to confirm my assumptions, I see a big base and several concrete buildings, humming with activity. I maneuver the mini airjet to the farthest corner of the island, with tall grass and trees. It's a relief that it doesn't create a commotion to look suspicious, and the machine's sound is like a quiet flap of a big bird.

I feel sweat on my forehead as I land. It's no joke flying the thing to Tuck with such speed and caution. I breathe heavily, closing my eyes to catch air. I gather my thoughts and take my seatbelt off, hopping down the airjet carelessly. I fell headfirst to the ground, but luckily for me it was sand.

I don't bother to shake the grains of sand on my clothes as I run. I try to remember the map of Tuck I briefly studied on the Royal Library one time, but suddenly realized that I have no concrete plan on how to get near Mare, or how to even find her. The whole island is under the Scarlet Guard's protection for now, and going into their base would be a suicide. Even though I am a Silver, I cannot take on thousands of them. I also remember that they have Cal here, and I know that he would fight me not for the sake of the Reds but for himself.

I crouch behind a huge rock, scanning the area. I was near the buildings now, and I figured that since it was nighttime, maybe I could go, hiding on shadows until I find her. Still pretty suicidal.

I was debating with myself until I sense someone getting near. I become alert, and ready myself to attack or defend. I hunch lower, craning my neck to observe who it was.

Mare walks with huge strides, and I can see her dismayed face in the moonlight. She walks alone hurriedly to the shore far from the base, and I follow her, going behind huge trees.

She stops abruptly, and kicks the sand in frustration. She stares at the ocean, hands on her hips. I choose this moment to creep behind her, but Mare is aware of my movement. Before she can summon any lightning to her advantage, I run fast and cover her mouth. She kicks, and hits me on the knee. I grunt.

She turns her head and sees me. Her eyes are in question, and I release her.

"What are you doing here?" She asks, looking around alertly.

"Dammit Mare that kick was something," I manage to say as I bend, massaging my knee.

"How do I know you're not here to kill me? Where's your army?" She nervously, scanning the area for any sign of other Silvers.

I snorted. "I could have killed you so many times, Mare. I told you I'd find you."

Her eyes are blank. I can't blame her fore debating with herself whether she could still trust me or not, and although I can't read her mind I can tell how confused she is.

She turns away, and I jog behind her. "How did you even find this place?"

"I flew," she looks at me with widening eyes, no Silver was ever born with the ability to fly, "on an airjet at the other side. And this place I have known for a long time, its not actually a secret you know. The Silvers know."

She shakes her head. "But they don't care. That's enough for the Scarlet Guard. If they find you here, they will kill you instantly. Cal will. I should have."

I hold her shoulders, forcing her to face me. The dark night glistens her shining eyes, and her body tenses. "I know. But I said that I will always find you. I am a man of my word." I stare deeply into her eyes, the cold wind doing nothing to my heating body. Mare feels the warmth, and she ironically shivers slightly.

"Why are you doing this to me Maven," her voice comes out as a hoarse whisper. Our noses are an inch apart, and I sighed heavily. I close my eyes, biting my lip. I fight the urge to let my lips tell her not in words but in action. I can smell her hair, a familiar scent I've known and memorized. She looks down, clenching her fists.

But Mare deserves my explanation. I owe her that. "Mare, I don't know if what I'm going to say will be enough. My mother has all the Silvers at her hands, and if I fight her now, she will banish me and still kill you," I know that even though I am my mother's only child, she just needed me as a way to get the throne she wanted so much, and once I act against her foolishly she will set me aside. "I had to go on with it, I have to Mare. But now that I am King, I have a slight leverage along with a few things. I can learn how to keep my mother at bay. I can get stronger without her suspecting."

"But how Maven? How can fight her, your mother, and all the other Silvers? I can't, Cal can't, even the Scarlet Guard can't."

"Oh I can. No one's ever measured the ability I have, not even me. I am not at extent yet," I assured her, my eyes reflecting my smirk.

"You're a burner, I know. You are powerful, like Cal. But that won't do much," she replies, dismay in her voice. Granted, we burners are strong enough, but we have our weaknesses too. Mare must be remembering my time in the arena during our training, drowned and forced to yield. Or maybe Cal's almost death before the Lord Osanos. I almost tell her that I am more than a burner, but I know that this is not the time yet. I still have to keep a few secrets from her, just to keep her listening to me.

I smile. "I told you I can learn Mare. Let me take care of that."

"But how about the list, Maven? You know about that don't you? And I believe so does your mother," she hisses. "You'll kill them won't you? Then why won't I just kill you now?" Sparks were already forming on her hands, but I stand my ground.

"Go ahead Mare. Kill me, you have many reasons to. Or you can just hand me over to the Scarlet Guard, oh I bet they'd love that. Probably put my body on display to show Norta they've won," I said as a matter of fact, imagining how having me would make their advantage.

She walks over to me, and I prepare myself for the shock. Instead she hurls the lightning angrily at the sea, the water absorbing it with the strong currents. She growls, and grabs my collar.

I stare back intently. "If it makes any sense to you, yes my mother knows. She knew before you did. But she did not believe they were real treats until you came. She has other means of tracking them down aside from the list. I have a copy of the list, and I will try to keep them alive without alerting my mother. If you plan to save them, the Silvers will be ahead of you in track, with me in the lead. But I will always save you," I emphasize again, even though Mare is not affected of my power. I have to rely on her trust in me alone, if she still have some left.

"I don't care about the Silvers I'm about to face. I will find them before you do," she says, but I know that she is at lost again. She doesn't know who will help her.

She releases me, and I move closer until only a thin wall of air stands between us. She challenges me, staring, unafraid. "I will find you again. Take care here, I won't be the only one who'll betray you," she flinches at my words, and I take that and cup her face, desperate kissing her. She hesitates, but responds back. My hands travel to her back, pulling her closer, and hers to my neck, clinging on. We kiss until the heat escapes from us, and the ocean in rhythm with our hearts. When I pull back, a gasp escapes from her lips, and I brush it with mine away. "I have to go," I said, although I am aching for more. She nods, her eyes still close.

"I cannot trust you anymore," she whispers. This time I am the one who nods. "I will not ask that of you for now, but just let me be. Leave the other side to me."

She doesn't answer, and I kiss her one more time quickly before running away, aware that I had already exhausted my time and risked my life just to hold her again. I leave her with her thoughts, not watching me as I go. Even after that, I know that I will do it again.