Chapter 24: MARE

"Mare."

"Mare. We were asking you."

I flinched, suddenly aware of the eyes on me. "Yes?"

My brother literally rolled his eyes. "We were asking you, What now?"

Farley made a scraping noise on the table we were huddled at with her knife, but the rest of the room was quiet. Cal was seated beside me, his eyes tired but alert. Kilorn was on the other side of the table, looking like he doesn't care about anything. The other newbloods were waiting for my answer.

"I asked Maven."

Cal's eyes settled into mine, blank, but his whole body was tensed. Kilorn spoke for him.

"And what did you ask him for?" Kilorn said, his voice challenging above the silence. Everybody else seem to be thinking about what to say.

I sat up straighter, looking into each one of them, aware of the fire I was about to burst. "I asked him to end this by choosing me."

The table shook as Cal's fists hit the wood's surface. "No," he growled, as Farley's glass shatters on the floor. "Don't you dare, Mare."

"Don't I dare what?" I said, unmoving in my place, although I was shaking. Cal was heating up literally, his fire burning him from the inside. Sweat began to run on my forehead.

He moves closer to me, his eyes blazing. "Don't you dare beg the person who put you down."

His words stung, like an arrow straight to the core. I almost flinched.

Instead of waiting for me to answer, Cal throws another punch to the poor table, his fists burning into the wood, as he walks out the room, leaving me to explain to the others who were even more confused of my actions.

*******

I spotted him on the hillside, the wind trying to cool his warmth. Cal's gaze was way beyond, but I know that he could sense me coming over to him.

I sat beside him on the soft grass and studied his hard but soft hands. The hands of a warrior.

"What did he say?" Cal said, breaking the silence between us. I watched his chest heave a deep breath.

I sighed. "He.. He actually didn't answer."

Cal chuckled. "And you're surprised? You think he'll leave his kingdom for you?" His gaze fell into me, mocking.

"Yes, because he's Maven. He will always choose me over anything, unlike you. You never chose me," my words came out like a hoarse whisper, trying to contain my tears.

I watch Cal stiffened. "I choose you now," he said, reaching out to touch my hand.

I stood up, not minding to brush the dust in my eyes. "How can you say that you're choosing me when you clearly don't have a choice? Maven says to wait, and I will."

I tried to walk fast, but I couldn't escape Cal's last thoughts. "Even after he betrayed you? Mare! Don't be stupid!"

Damn my heart, damn my heart.

-----
A/N Hello guys! This chapter is for you, for waiting patiently for my update. I am done with my thesis and internship so yay! I can update more!

Thank you so much. What do you think Mare will do? Will she think about it? Or will she follow her heart?

And of course, one question for you. Personally, do you let your heart overrule your mind?