Chapter 10: MAVEN

I sharpen my whisper ability, watching out for signs of brain activities. So far, I had been successful in going back to the palace unnoticed, I hope. I launch myself out from the underground tunnel, and hopped into my room. The night is still deep, and I heave a sigh of relief to see that the Red Edorn was gone, probably tucked in his own bed.

I remove the clothes I was wearing and change into the Silver ones. I carefully hide it on my closet, on a spot where no one would notice, not even the Reds who come by and clean.

I grin as I lay on my bed, satisfied for the day. I fell asleep almost immediately.

*****

"Your Majesty," I wake up with the sunlight on my face, as one of the servants open the curtains of my huge windows to let the morning come.

I groan. Even though I am a Silver of notable strength, I also need some rest. I only had a few hours of sleep, but remembering Mare's lips made me feel better that I did not dare to shout at the maid who woke me.

"Morning. What heeds you to wake your King?" I ask politely, as a young Red prepares my breakfast in front of me. She was a small thing with wild untamed hair, tucked under her uniform hat. She served me with such care that I beamed at her and the sight of the food before me. She seemed shock and afraid at the same time, afterall a Silver had just been kind to her, the Silver King himself. I ignore it, still merry at the thought of Mare.

"We were asked to, your Majesty. By the Queen. She requires your presence at the throne room today, for a meeting with the High Houses. That is why we brought your breakfast here," she said, watching me eat.

"Oh please help yourselves to the food, you look hungry," I said, my mouth full of scrambled eggs. Her eyes widened, and she bowed her head. I could read in her mind that she was scared, thinking she had offended me, and the others were nervous too.

If I can just give myself a kick for the kindness. But I had read that she was hungry, and the others too. I always thought the Reds who lived in the palace were luckier, but sometimes not so. I can see from someone's mind in the room that they were forced to start their chores without eating first, to make them determined to finish all tasks at a top speed. I did not like that thought, thinking of how Mare was when she was just like them.

I coughed and sat up straighter. "I mean that you should have eaten before serving me. Tell your head maid that the King commands this. I don't want you all staring at me while I eat, it's very uncomfortable," I said, sneering as to make it that I was commanding this for my benefit alone.

The young maid with wild hair nodded happily, unmindful of my tone. It didn't matter how I said it, the only matter was my command.

I raised my eyebrow, my fork midway in the air. She stops instantly, fearing me again, and bowed in apology.

It's hard to pretend something you are not.

*****

"My son, what took you so long?" My mother called out as I entered the throne room.

"I had breakfast, of course," I walk over to the throne, and cast a quick look upon the Silvers present. They bowed in unison.

My mother nodded. "Today, we want to bring up a certain matter to you. It seems like the filthy Reds are now rebelling, and we're certain that this is about the Scarlet Guard."

"What type of rebellion?" I ask.

"Well, they like to insult us directly now," Evangeline answered. I was confused. The Reds are now brave enough to stand up to the Silvers who can kill them with their bare hands. "One of them was found vandalising your posters around town," the posters were to make the people know that I am now their King.

I waved my hand for her to go on.

"We brought him here, so the King can judge him himself. It would be too fun if we kill him on our own,"

After she finished, the guards escorted a handcuffed young man in torn clothes, with several cuts and bruises on his body. He did not try to fight them, and he stared at me with such hate I could feel it steaming from his head.

"You did have a little fun with him, right?" I said mockingly as the prisoner approached. Upon seeing me, he began to laugh.

"You dare to laugh in front of your King?" I ask.

He stops to answer. "But you are no King, you are a boy," he stares pitifully at me.

Perhaps it was because of the fact that he was a Red who insulted the Silver King in front of his subjects, or because he had called me boy like everyone else used to think. I held out my hand and burned him, hearing his screams with the flames of the fire, so hot it only took him minutes before he turned into ashes. The palace smelled of dust, and the Silvers wore confused expressions.

If I had a little sympathy for a few Red maids who were hungry, I definitely had none for any Red who tried to cross me. I did not even have second thoughts even if he was like Mare. I can feel the echoes of the fire tingling in my hands, such power causing me to be in a strong aura. I did not even feel exhausted.

I looked around, and as my mother could not read me, her expression was blank. They don't know what to make of my action.

"Have the servants replace the carpet. If anyone else dares to be like him, any Red or Silver, I will not be merciful."

Everybody goes  back into action, the servants hurrying off to clean, shivering at the thought that the ashes belonged to someone of their kind. The Silvers whispered to each other, and I did not bother to listen to them, because I knew that I had presented my image to them right then. I will not have anyone question my ability, for I am twice a Silver. I am twice as powerful as any Silver, or newblood together.

I don't even feel guilty. I guess I am more than what I pretend to be.