Chapter 27: MARE

I am tired.

I am tired of running, of hiding. I am tired of fighting.

I look around the camp we have made and ask myself, is the battle even worth it? We are strong, yes, the new breed of power. But will we win against the strong families of the Silver?

"You stare at the sky like it's the end," Farley says, disrupting my thoughts.

"I needed a break, Farley. Do you need me now?"

Farley sat beside me, watching. The sun was hiding behind the clouds, with only little rays escaping, shining on our faces.

She sighed, and for once I saw that beyond the tough image she puts up, she too, had enough of the world we were in.

"Maybe we all need a break, Mare. Maybe it's okay if we'll lighten up,"

I chuckled. "You? Telling me to slow down? Are you serious?" I didn't expect Farley would come to a point where she would give up fighting, afterall, it was what made her her. But as I see her stare at nowhere, I see the reflection of what I truly felt.

"We cannot afford to lose time, you know it. We need to be faster,"

"How do you plan to outrun the Silvers?" She said, as if mocking me.

"And since when were you so unconfident?" Her tone bothered me. Was she even Farley to think like this? I stood up, angry at her being like this at a time when we need her.

She hurried behind me, grabbing my arm. "I am being practical, Mare. When you look at all of us, do you see us winning? Do you think that fighting without a chance is the best way to go down?"

"Then what do you want me to do?!" I shouted, frustrated. A big part of me knew that she was right, but I was still holding on to the small hope that somehow, we could make it.

She shook her head, studying me. "Go. Go back to Maven."

Hearing his name struck me. I wanted to laugh hard at Farley's face again, I wanted to say that I could do it if I wanted to. But instead, I breathed heavily, not knowing how to release the tension.

Because just how could I go back to the person who can't risk everything for me?

"You know it's the way, right?" Farley looked at me, as the clouds above us turn gray.

Yes, yes I do. With Maven, I would be safe. He is the most powerful Silver. He is the King. I want to.. I wanted to..

But instead I stared at her back, lifting my chin. "But it's not the only way."

I left the forest, upset at Farley reminding me that I was losing.