Chapter 15: MAVEN

Ptolemus walks over, and stops abruptly while he bows. "Your Majesty, we are to circle the kingdom for official proclamation as King."

I try not to snort. Ptolemus is a warrior, but now he's taken into himself that he could handle my other affairs as well. I know a powerlust when I see one.

"Very well. Let me have control over where it starts," I said, trying to sound bored, covering my true intentions. I want to search for Mare in a way that no one will suspect a thing, and this parade is a perfect setup.

The thought of Mare makes me grimace as I wave my hand lazily to dismiss Ptolemus and his men. After knowing that they escaped from the Colonel's clutches, I have no idea where she would head on to. I only have the list, and do my best to think about how she would think. I scratch my head slightly, my fingers hitting my crown. As much as I want to find her alone, I have to find people who could do the tracking for me.

Evangeline remains by my side even after her brother leaves. She tossed her perfectly silver hair, in a manner no one would often see. I turn one eye over her to see her staring at me.

Another powerlust, I tell myself. She thinks I am crazy enough to take her as a replacement, afterall, she only went into queenstrial not for Cal but for the throne itself. A smirk replaces the frown on my face as I read her thoughts. Foolish girl. She always thinks her strength is enough.

She mistakes it for something else, and grins in return. "I suppose you know how much you need me in this," she says, assured of her worth.

I raise my eyebrow, but do not correct her. "Your mother thinks I can be of use to you," she continues. "If you make me queen, we can be unstoppable. We think alike, you know, you and I," her smile tries to win me over. I chuckle, shaking my head. She thinks I get her point, but all I was really thinking about was of how narrow-minded she was, just like the others.

"I think I do get my mother's point, Evangeline," I answer, my eyes playful. "But of course, you must prove your worth, hm? Just like what you did for Cal in the queenstrial."

"You want to host another one?" She laughs. "I can beat anyone easily, you know. It'd be a waste of time." She lifts her chin, proud of what she could do.

I stop myself from reminding her that no matter how many others she can beat, she will never surpass Mare's strength or value. Especially to me.

"Of course, I do know what you are capable of. The Samos house is one of the strongest," I emphasize the word one, a sign that even though the magnetrons were strong, the house Calore and Merandus will always be above them. "I don't need a queenstrial. You can prove your worth by simply doing whatever I ask of you, and your house."

She straightened her back, eyes gleaming with the thought that no one would stand in her way for being queen. She likes it that there would be no other competition aside from herself.

"Anything, your Majesty. You need not to ask, we are pledged to you," she bows slowly, keeping eye contact with me like a fox seizing its prey. I remain oblivious to her.

If she wants to play this game, I always need to be ahead of her. Easy.

******

"Make sure your men know where she is before Ptolemus does," I commanded. The man in front of me shakes nervously, but he nods. His filthy clothes are all red, with a scarf covering half his face. I don't know if sending someone too disposable is the Colonel's way to mock me, or if it was purely for logical reasons. If the guard in front of me gets caught, the Scarlet Guard will not be gambling for anything. I searched his head and confirmed the latter reason. Perhaps in terms of the quest for power, Reds and Silvers are the same.

"And make sure to give me a heads up, and tell the Colonel that I will stay with my word. If he publicly goes against me again, I will go against you as a Silver," I said, looking around the dark forest. I did not want to lead the guard to my castle, since giving him directions to the tunnels will already give them an edge over me. The forest will do.

The guard shifts uncomfortably. He came alone, I confirmed. I figured that he was one of the spies of the Scarlet Guard, so sending him alone was fine. But I was amused at the thought of how much he feared me despite being skilled to escape.

"Tell him that if ever Ptolemus gets to them before he does, I'm afraid I would have to spill blood. You can go now," I say, and the Red spy bows before swiftly going out to the night.

*****
A/N: Hello, readers!! Sorry for making you wait for so long. How are you liking the story? Please comment and vote!!
P.S. I'm thinking of writing my own fantasy. Will you be reading it too if I'll do? Let me know. ;) BTW. I'll try to update as much as I can. I would really love to hear your thoughts on this fanfic!