Chapter 3: MAVEN

"You should have killed her," Mother's voice coldly said. I turned to see that she had entered my room without my permission again. I tried to stand taller.

"I did try, didn't I?" My voice tries to challenge her. I guarded my thoughts well, creating walls before she could penetrate. My mother's face look puzzled. She didn't like being kept in the dark. Afterall, she's of the house Merandus, the most powerful whisper.

Unfortunately for her, and fortunately for me, she cannot read her only son's thoughts.

"Of course you did. They weren't enough though, were they? Even that Samos girl and her brother couldn't do anything to kill that lightning girl and your beloved brother," she walked around the room, approaching me close.

I watched her steadily. "The guards will find them. I know how Mare and Cal think. I can track them down myself."

"Oh but what will you do then, my son? After finding them, will you kill the girl yourself?" She stared intently into my eyes, trying to shake my willpower off. I almost let doubt slip on my eyes, but caught myself just in time. My eyes were blank.

"Leave that to me, mother. I assume you can trust your only son. You know I'm as strong as you," I try to grin. It was enough to make my mother believe me, she wanted nothing in the world but a son who would make her proud.

My mother beamed at me. "You are my own flesh and blood, I trust you," for a second you'd think she was just an ordinary parent, not the Queen. She kissed my cheek before closing the doors behind her.

Once I was alone again, I collapsed. Trying to keep my mother in reins takes up most of my powers. Maybe because I still feared her result into a heap of exhaustion everytime I tried to hide my true thoughts.

Because I was not finding Mare to kill her, I was finding her to keep her. And I will do everything I can in my power to save her.

My mother thinks she can play this game, but I'm already ahead of her. Most Silvers only inherit their father's ability, and since Cal and I are from the house Calore, we are burners. Cal the flame and I the shadow of Norta.

As a cold blue fire started on my hands I can't help but chuckle. Not only am I a burner, I am also a whisper. Not as powerful as my mother, but I have my share of the Merandus' ability.

*****

"Is everything ready?" I turned to the sentinel before me, who was trembling. I wasn't sure that sentinels feared anything, because they themselves were creatures that could give anyone a nightmare. But ever since I got the throne and showed everyone that I am more that what they expected me to be, they seem to find my presence disturbing. I prefer this though, because no one will be suspecting a thing.

"Yes, your Majesty," the sentinel bowed. Judging from the bulkiness of his body, he's a strongarm. The sight of him shaking before a boy king is hilarious.

I walked towards the throne room, my cape steady behind me like the aura of a true king. I find Ptolemus and Evangeline already making arrangements for the troops with the Silver high houses.

"Your Majesty, we are in mourn with you and the Queen for the King," Ptolemus bows as I approach. Norta is still in grief for my dead father, who was killed by my traitor of a brother.

My mother's doing, of course.

I looked around and saw them all in black, even Evangeline in her metal dress. I took my seat on the great chair facing them all.

"My father's death and my brother's treachery brings me now to the throne. I know that most of you think low of me, and I cannot blame you. You have all witnessed me grow, but you were not aware about what I can do, because you were tuning in to the heir's life, my brother Cal. But no longer is he your future King, because he has betrayed me, you, and this kingdom. I am now your King."

I make my words ring through the throne room. All the Silvers were bowing their heads in recognition of me, but I know that most of them were already looking for any sign of weakness I might show. They know I am just a weak fire compared to Cal, and if we managed to drive him away, so can they.

They're a bunch of fools for thinking that way.

Evangeline spoke up first. "King Maven, we need a whole army to find the girl and Cal at once. They might have escaped from us in the arena, but they're too weak now to face an army of Silvers." She was still angry at the thought that she would never be Queen, now that her betrothed has ran away as a disgrace to Norta. I know that she is one of the people already planning to take the crown away from me, like she planned to do it to Cal. I almost laughed at her face at knowing her petty ambitions.

"I know that, you do not need to tell me what to do," I snapped. Not any of them will have the satisfaction to see me stumble, now that I am their King.

"Yes, your Majesty. My sister was just eager to finally kill the lightning girl," Ptolemus backed his sister up, patting Evangeline's head as she sat again. "But the high houses suggest that the King grants us permission to take some of the Reds with us to battle as the front line. The Scarlet Guard is hosting our two prisoners, yes? Showing up with a few Reds who'll die will crumble their dignities." The Silvers nodded in agreement.

I must agree that what Ptolemus suggests is a good plan indeed. I don't want to have other Reds if it was up to me, they'd be such a waste anyway since they can't fight like the Silvers do. But that was the whole point, the Reds will be there to waste. I can almost sense Mare's reaction to this, and as much as I want to keep her believing in me, I must show my people that I am one of them.

"I'll take that idea, Ptolemus," he grinned at hearing that I was turning into him for my tactics. I can hear his self appreciation in his head, the goddamn idiot. "You can lead the army," I added, and Ptolemus smirked. He thinks he's gaining my trust.

I let him be as I walk away from them, already warned of their thoughts against me.