Beautiful Curse

I stare out the windows of the airplane, my eyes fluttering under the fringe of snowy-white hair. I wonder about the people going about their day below; did they understand how insignificant their lives were compared to how majestic the earth was? The mountain peeks taunt me with their largeness while I'm so small in comparison. They were giants while I was an ant.

"What are you doing?" My twin brother leans over my shoulder, looking out the small window, his black hair tickling.

"Staring at the mountains," I smile shyly over my shoulder. "You probably think I'm stupid."

Will's golden eyes narrow and slide to lock with mine. "Why would I think you're stupid, sister of mine?"

"Just a thought," I shrug my shoulders, a blush creeping to my cheeks. How come I was so easily flustered at times? My thoughts weren't stupid, but others were known to think they were.

Will snorts and lays his head on my shoulder, wrapping his arms around my waist. His breathing deepens and his head lulls closer to my chest. I smile gently and run my fingers through his silky raven locks and chuckle slightly when a snore rumbles from him. This trip was taxing and I could only imagine how exhausted he was.

"Is he asleep, Meg?" Our father raises his head from his book.

I look away from my handsome twin to turn my attention to our father. "Hai."

"Already practicing your Japanese, I see." He grins, wrinkles appearing around the corner of his eyes when he does.

"Yes," I nod my head happily. "I thought I'd try to get enough practice in before we reach Japan."

"Smart girl." He ruffles my hair and goes back to reading his book(and writing in the margins).

I sigh at the silence that envelops me. It was always this way. Dad would talk with me for a few seconds and then go back to whatever he was doing, but with Will he'd stop what he was doing and spend all day long with his son. It was a wistful wish if I were to hope for any love from my father. Maybe it was because Will resembled him more than I did?

***

My nose scrunches in disgust and I clutch Will's arm with a tight grasp as the people bustle around us; jolting me and pushing me out of the way.

"Hold on tight and don't let go." Will commands and snakes his arm around my waist.

You don't have to tell me twice. "Alright."

Our father's head starts to grow distant as the people surge and thicken around us. Will hisses curse words under his breath at rapid fire and tugs me along behind him as he pushes people out of our way. I fidget with the edges of my shirt and tighten my hold on Will's arm, allowing a few words to fall from my lips as well about the smarts of human beings.

"Will?" Father's panicked shout rings through the crowd. His eyes scan the surrounding area before landing on us. "Oh thank the lord, you two are all right."

"No thanks to you." I grumble under my breath, but I hold my silence against speaking to him.

"Yes, it's a miracle that we managed to get out of that." Will smiles at our father and switches his bag to his other shoulder. Always the dutiful son.

"Hmm," father smiles. "Follow me and we can go to our new home."

Home. Home was back in America. But, that was no longer an option. Home was in Japan now.

My eyes widen as our new house comes into view. It was beautiful. A dark brown that fit the surrounding forest with a white creamy trim. The house was a three story building with one room facing the small pond out towards the right side of the house.