Hosts get a new idea: A swimming contest? Part 1

The sun glares in through the windows, demanding I wake from the embrace of sleep. Breathing softly I crack open my eyes, confused at my surroundings. I remember falling asleep in my bed, then how did I end up in Will's?

"Morning, Meg." Will's voice is husky from sleep.

I snuggle closer, his warmth intoxicating. "How'd I end up in your bed again?"

His dark eyes open and smile down at me. "Nightmare."

I flinch. Of course those damn nightmares would still be plaguing me, even after we moved away from America. Will scoops me closer and holds me tightly. Soft mummers trickle into my ears as I shake. Never did I remember the nightmare, but when they happened I found myself in Will's soft bed sleeping beside him. Maybe it's because he's my twin, but I never felt safe unless he was there beside me.

"Did I scream?"

"No."

A sigh of relief slips and his lips tighten. Will blames himself for my nightmares, because he was the one who had left me that....night but I didn't blame him. Not in the slightest.

"Still want to go to school? I could probably talk dad out of letting us go." His dark eyes watch.

The shaking leaves me. I have to be strong, Will's here with me. "No, that's okay. I don't think the hosts will let it slip if we don't show up."

He sighs heavily. "And here I thought I could sleep all day and eat ice cream with you."

I giggle against his chest, pulling away a fraction. "We can do that on the weekend, silly."

His laughter joins my giggles. "I suppose you're right, but the weekend's still days away."

"Stop pouting, it's unbecoming for someone your age." I scold him teasingly.

"That's rich coming from you."

"Hey," I punch his chest teasningly, my cheeks puffing out in anger. "Don't make fun of me, mister."

Will laughs and he brings me closer to him once more, wrapping his arms around me and snuggling close. "A few more minutes, that's all."

I comply and close my eyes. Moments like this were what I looked forward to, even being ignored by my father was worth it if it meant Will would stay by my side. People leave, people go, but Will promised to stay with me and I believe him. Tyson left me, maybe not on purpose but he still left. Walked out those doors without turning around to see the tears running down my face and the plea strangling my throat closed.

"Will. Meg, time to wake up." Dad's call jolts us from our half-slumber.

Will groans and rolls out of bed, circling around the bed and lifting me from under the arms and legs. Lifting me up he carries me out of the room and down to the kitchen, humming a soft tune as he walked. I listen happily to his deep voice, letting my eyes drift shut in peace.

"Meg, wer're here. I'm setting you down now."

"M'kay." I smile lightly.

He sets me down and I stumble over to the kitchen chair, slumping greatfuly down onto my butt. Will sits down beside me and props his chin up with his hand, sleepily keeping his eyes open. I ruffle his hair and run my fingers through his silky locks. The clatter of plates clincking down onto the kitchen island tells us dad was putting food out. I inhale the smell of pancakes and strawberry juice. My stomach rumbles in pleasure and hunger at the smell of good food.

"Dig in kids." Dad smiles and turns around, going back to cooking.

Will and I dig in and finish our pancakes quickly, nimbling on the eggs set on the side. A glass of water washed down the food, and quenched the thirst. After awhile of eating slowly, we finish up and go back to the room to get ready for school.