ONE

Short Chapter

✤ ✤ ✤

Lucky sat on the brown-tattered couch while chomping on a bowl of cereal. She looked toward the front door after hearing it creak. It opened, revealing her older sister, Kendra, with her three children. When she noticed Lucky sitting on the couch, she wrinkled her nose at the girl.

"Why are you in here eating all of my food?" Kendra questioned her sister. Lucky sucked her teeth while rolling her eyes. She didn't say anything back because she knew Kendra would go back and forth with her-she liked getting the last word.

"And you need to find a job because the water bill is due next week on the third. You're not doing anything but sitting on your lazy ass."

"Alright, Kendra." Lucky cursed with a slight frown. "Damn."

This was an everyday thing. Kendra would pester Lucky about getting a job and applying for food stamps. Unbeknownst to her, Lucky had no plans to apply for food stamps. She felt it was below her.

After graduating high school with a 3.4 GPA, she considered attending college. Unfortunately, the lack of motivation cowered her away from the entire idea. Over the years, Lucky developed an artistic trait that prompted her to doodle on paper until she could create advanced drawings. She had no inspiration to turn her skill into a profit. The only thing she cared about was running the streets and getting dick.

Kendra scoffed while hitting her son upside his head. Immediately, he started to cry from the pain. He rubbed his head while glancing at her.

"Stop walking on the back of your shoes before I beat your ass. They cost too much for you to be doing that." Kendra snapped as she carried her seven-month-old baby in her arms.

Lucky took in the sight of her sister with disgust. She couldn't believe Kendra thought she was a bad bitch who had her shit together. Kendra took her in because she didn't have anywhere else to go. Their mom was somewhere roaming the streets of Harlem. Their father, Caesar, had been shot and killed, so they were all they had left.

Lucky's ick from Kendra stemmed from constantly being disrespected. Kendra habitually tried to humiliate her sister in front of her friends. In her opinion, she thought she was better than Lucky.

Kendra and her children received benefits from the government. She was a mastermind when it came to hustling for money. What bothered Lucky was her sister's selective anger. She never yelled at her boyfriend, Tycen, for being unemployed. He lived there and only made money from gambling. Kendra didn't bother to ask him for help. Lucky figured she wanted to keep this one around after her first baby's father left her.

Another person appeared, cutting the corner of the hallway. Lucky realized it was her younger sister, Briana. She lived with their aunt Pumpkin. Lucky tried staying with her, but Pumpkin didn't want her there. Lucky didn't know the reason.

"Pumpkin needs your food stamp card," Briana told her older sister as she leaned against the sofa. Lucky eyed her for a moment, realizing she was curvy. Briana was fifteen and wore her clothes tight.

Lucky knew that Briana was having sex. She'd heard from several people about her sister having sex with older men for money. She was disappointed and disgusted about it, but Lucky knew she wouldn't be able to tell her anything.

"Girl..." Lucky trailed off while eyeing her sister with her nose wrinkled. She sat there with an empty bowl in her hand. Lucky leaned over to tug at her sister's shorts. "What do you have on?"

"Clothes." Briana swatted her hands away. "Now move, Luck."

Lucky wore a grin as she continued to pick with her sister. Kendra stood a few steps away, rummaging through her faux Gucci purse. She laid her eyes on the EBT card and handed it to her sister.