TWENTY-TWO

•••

Silas was steering the wheel of his mom's Cadillac. He glanced over at Lucky who was busy looking straight ahead. She had her hand underneath her chin as she sat beside him-lost in her own thoughts.

"You hungry?" He asked her in his usual, deep voice.

Lucky shook her head softly.

"Luck, are you hungry?" Silas reiterated. He didn't realize that she had shook her head no.

"No." She replied dryly, clearly she had an attitude.

Silas didn't even bother to respond back smartly. He knew that Lucky was in a horrible mood. She was going through a tough situation that would fuck anybody's mood up.

Bliss, Briana, and Seven were already in New York. Immediately, they went to the hospital where baby Cali was being held at. The doctors informed Briana on her daughter's health.

Unfortunately, Cali went into the hospital with multiple bruises and the doctors noticed that she was severely beaten. Cali had head injures, a broken arm, and a broken tailbone. Right now she was unconscious and on life support.

Yes, Briana broke down when she received the news and when she informed Lucky, she broke down as well. Just the thought of how Cali was screaming and hollering from being abused made Lucky cringe. She had chills all over her skin as she shook from the ill thoughts.

"Did they ever catch that nigga?" Silas questioned Lucky.

"The police got him. He brought Cali up to the hospital and confessed."

"Damn." He cursed. "I'mma get that nigga when I see him on the streets. You don't do yo' fucking daughter like that. The fuck is wrong with that nigga?"

"He's mad because Briana won't let him fuck over her." Lucky answered him. "So he took his anger out on Cali."

Silas squinted his eyes in frustration. "But how did he get her? That's what I'm tryna figure out-you told me that she was with yo' grandmoms."

"He went over to Jennette's house and asked for Cali. She wouldn't let him get her so he kicked the door down and took her. Jennette called the police on him, but that didn't help. He still managed to get away with her."

"That nigga better be glad he in jail." Silas ranted. "He better do what's best for him and stay in that motherfucka."

Lucky never replied back, she was actually thinking of how she was going to get to Caleb herself. She wanted to make his ass suffer for hurting her niece.

•••

"Everything is going to be okay." Lucky whispered in her niece's ear as she gently touched her cheek. The poor baby just laid there unconscious with tubes and bandages everywhere.

Her caramel-colored-brown skin had purple-like bruises everywhere, her eyes were swollen shut, and her bottom lip was split deeply and swollen.

A tear ran down Lucky's cheek, she quickly wiped it away. She wanted to stay in the room with her niece forever but she had to go to work. Luckily, Briana was staying overnight with her.

"I don't want to lose you. You just got here." Lucky stressed out while scrutinizing Cali. "You're about to be one soon...I hope you shake back from this. Your mom and I plan on throwing the biggest birthday party for you."

She leaned back down and kissed her small hand. "I love you so much Calibug."

The machines beeped and beeped which almost drove Lucky crazy. She was trying to prevent herself from counting them.