FOUR

✤ ✤ ✤

"Samar has been hiding from me for months." Ramses, Silas father announced as he sat inside his of office. He held a cigar in his hand while casually smoking it.

Silas ran his hand across his face as his mind began to ponder. Samar was an older man who recently borrowed money from his dad. He hadn't been seen after receiving the large loan.

"What do you want to do?" Silas questioned his dad. He focused on the ruthless man who helped his mom bring him into this cold, cruel world.

Ramses was in his mid-forties. He'd always been a tall and, beefy man. He stood about 6'5" tall. Ramses was a handsome masterpiece. He was biracial-according to his family background. His mother was an Arab who moved from Egypt at a young age. She met Ramses' father and later gave birth to three children. A few years later, his father was shot and killed.

"I want you to get on this shit and handle it." Ramses rasped while surveying his son with his hazel eyes. "Isn't that what I hired you for?"

Abruptly, his phone beeped. He picked up the device to check his messages. Ramses' eyes narrowed in curiosity. He had been married to Silas' mom for almost twenty-three years and loved her. However, he didn't love her enough to stop cheating.

"About that..." Silas trailed off as he leaned back in the leather chair. Quickly, he glanced at the pictures of him and his siblings. They decorated his father's desk. "I'm thinking about leaving this shit alone."

"You're what?" Ramses' eyes widened with a perplexed expression. He wanted to understand what his son was trying to say.

"This shit ain't for me man." Silas voiced while throwing his hands up, "You know what I want to do."

Ramses laughed as if Silas told him something funny, "Silas fuck a mechanic shop. That shit is not meant for you. Now I know what's best for you. Your father knows what's best for you." Ramses remarked while pointing at himself.

"You don't want to end up like that older brother of yours..." Ramses trailed off while thinking about his oldest child, Nasir. He left his father's nest and decided to invest in his artist management career. Nasir was passionate about music, and he dreamt of directing the creative process of music and developing talented artists whose voices needed to be heard. Ramses thought it was a waste of time. He didn't think his son's business would be successful.

Silas shook his head while opting to stay quiet. He thought arguing was a waste of time. He listened to his father continue to ramble about his children.

"Now that youngest son of mine..." Ramses smirked before saying, "He's becoming another me. Hadji never disappoints me-"

The door opened, interrupting Ramses. Silas was glad because he had other shit to do. Silas' mother, Queen, walked in. She was of average height and had a curvy figure. Her skin was caramel with smoothness, and she had those big brown eyes.

"I brought you guys something to eat. I know you two must be hungry." Ramses eyed his wife sternly. She didn't recognize the look he was giving her, she just continued to lift the plates from the tray.

"You need to fucking knock before you walk up in here, don't you ever do the shit again." Ramses fussed, he pointed his finger at her. "DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!" He shouted. Silas' mother jumped from his tone of voice and quickly walked out.

Silas stared at his father. He didn't get into his parent's disagreements, especially when his dad put his mom in her place. He'd become accustomed to it. However, he grew tired of seeing his dad verbally abusing his mom. He always told his sons to put their women in their place. They should never be out of line.