21.) Road Kill

I covered my mouth with my right hand as I yawned, my left hand still on the steering wheel. It was almost one in the morning and there was still an hour left to drive til we got home. It was pitch black outside, there wasn't light but from the car and the few cars that would pass by me. I turned the volume up on Alex's car stereo when a song came up that made me bob my head along with it.

From the corner of my eye I could see Alex shuffling in his sleep. He slowly sat up and looked around. I turned the music down a little.

"Well hello sleepy head." I said while glancing at him quickly before looking back at the road. Somehow saying that gave me a sense of deja vu. He looked confused for a second and trying to adjust his eyes. The interior lights of his car was dim but bright enough for me to see his face.

"You said you would wait for me to wake up so that I could drive us back home." He then said.

"Yeah well, I didn't know when you'd wake up. So I just decided that I'd drive us back. We're almost home anyways... About an hour away." I said.

"Pull over." He then said. I glanced at him, confused.

"No, there's only an hour left." I stated. Why did he want me to pull over? I know it was his car and all but I wasn't a bad driver and I was already driving and I wasn't tired, despite my yawning.

"Jasmin, pull over now. I need to drive." He said in a stern voice. He was being so serious and it was confusing me. I didn't understand why he was acting like this all of a sudden. 

I continued to glance at him with a confused look. Was he going to explain why he was acting like this?

He faced me, his face was serious. "Listen to me Jasmin, pull over now. I'll explain when you do." He then said. I swear it seems like he can read my mind sometimes.

I was looking at the road then back at him. He was still looking at me but not really. His eyes were glazed over now like he was thinking or replaying something in his head.

I didn't know how long I had been staring at him but it didn't seem that long. But when you're driving, looking away for even a second, anything could happen. When I looked back at the road, everything seemed to happen so fast.

I only got a millisecond glimpse at the guy in front of the car before his body was hurdled on Alex's car, cracking his windshield and making it cave in front of Alex. I heard as his body rolled on top of the car as I had stepped on the brake. I watched as Alex moved in slow motion, looking at me in shock and telling me something, but I couldn't hear what he had said.

I turned away from him and sat frozen, my hands gripping on the steering wheel. I was looking ahead at the road. It was empty and dark. 

That wasn't a man you just hit.

No you didn't just hit someone.

You didn't just kill someone.

You didn't...

You didn't do that...

Alex took my face in his hands and made me look at him. He looked at me worried.

"Are you okay?" He asked. I blinked at him unable to speak.

"You're not hurt?" He asked. I managed to shake my head in his hands that were still around my face.

I was still trying to sink in what I had done. 

"I just ran over someone." I told myself, trying to accept it. I tried to look away but Alex continued to hold my face.

"He came out of nowhere." He was trying to reassure me and trying to make me feel better. It wasn't working. I had started to cry now. I took his hands off of me and faced forward to sob to myself.

I heard as Alex exhaled before getting out of the car. I watched from the mirror as he went to go check out the poor guy I just ran over. I'm sure he was dead. I was going at least over 70 in a 65 speed limit. 

I calmed myself down and took deep breaths. I then got out of the car and slowly made my way behind Alex's car. I leaned on the back of his car for support while covering my face with both of my hands. I watched in horror as several feet from me a body lay on the ground, his legs and arms positioned every which way. Alex crouched beside the man, just looking over the body. I didn't want to get any closer. I didn't want to see the face of the man I had just run over.

"Yeah, he's road kill." Alex said nonchalantly while walking towards me.

I sobbed. "Oh god." My stomach churned. "I just killed someone." I cried out.

"There wasn't much on him. He must have been backpacking to different places. I grabbed his wallet." He said while holding out a black leather wallet. He opened it and inspected the stuff inside.

"What's his name?" I managed to say through sobs. I needed to know the name of the man that I had killed.

"That's not a good idea. It'll only make it harder on you." He stated.

"Tell me his name, I killed him for God's sake!" I yelled trying to take the wallet from Alex's hands. He quickly stepped away from me and put the wallet in his back pocket of his jeans.

"It wasn't your fault." Alex had said. "He was practically in the middle of the road. It wasn't your fault." He tried reassuring me.

"Still! He's dead. I ran over him!" I yelled.

"We have to get rid of his body." Alex then said. I looked at him like he was crazy.

"What the hell are you talking about?!" I yelled at him. "We have to call 911!" 

Alex shook his head. "We can't do that." My eyes widened. He wanted to get rid of the body and pretend this didn't happen.

I could never do that. I'd take on whatever responsibility I had to face for this because I was the one that did this.

"You could go to jail." Alex said shaking me. My heart skipped a beat.

"But it was just an accident. You even said so yourself, he just came out of no where." I tried defending myself.

"If he has family, they could try to get you charged with something." He started. "I'm telling you, we have to get rid of the body. It'll just be easier this way." He said walking towards me again.

Easier? Killing someone and then trying to hide their body was easier? I had almost forgotten who he was. I'm sure this was probably nothing to him, who knows how many 'accidents' he was involved in.

I tried walking away from him but he held me in place. "We can't do that Alex... We can't. I... I need to take responsibility for this. I killed him..." My voice broke near the end while I started crying again.

I really had killed someone. 

Alex pulled me to him and wrapped his arms around me. He put one arm behind my lower back and cupped the back of my head so that I was crying into his chest. He shushed me as I continued to sob louder.

"It'll be okay... You'll be fine... You'll be just fine." Alex cooed while petting the back of my head. 

I began to calm down. He had actually managed to calm me down a bit. I took a deep breath, inhaling his scent while doing so.

We stayed in that position for a couple more minutes before he spoke again.

"You'll thank me for this later." He mumbled in my hair. I raised my head to look at him to ask what the hell he meant by that.

I got a glimpse of Alex's face, which was only inches away from mine. He looked at me with a smile. Then I felt a force hit the back of my head. I felt as my head jerked forward. My vision got blurry and I felt myself lose control of my body. I felt myself fall and then all of it became black.

**

VOTE COMMENT FAN!