Chapter One

"If we're family, why are you doing this to me?" I spit out blood, trying to keep my eyes open.

"We might be related by blood but you are not family. You can thank your mother for that! Give her another ounce."

A man stepped into the circle of mountain ash, sticking a needle vervain into my neck. Vervain is like wolfsbane for vampires. I learned that the hard way.

The liquid burned throughout my body

"My friends are going to come and save me!"

The man gave me another dose and I passed out.

This was the routine though.

This psychotic bitch asks me questions, I ask her questions, she gets mad and her minions torture me. I usually pass out from the pain but then wake up after a while because I heal.

"You're not going to even tell me how we are related?" I sit up straighter in my chair. I couldn't move though, she had me tied down as they drained my blood.

Yes, drain my blood. I don't understand why she is doing all this though. I just wanted answers.

The man came towards me with another thing of vervain.

"Hold back, Severo." She held up her hand and the man walked away.

She picked up her chair and moved it in front of me. "You'll need to hear the whole story."

I stared her in the eyes, indicating she should continue.

"Your mother is my daughter. I'm your grandmother."

"My mom told me her family died in a fire."

"She lied to you. I'm pretty sure your mother lied to you about a lot of things." She smirked as she got up out of her chair, walking over to a table and picking up a picture frame.

"You're mother was very adventurous. Never following the rules or doing what she's told. She was 16 years old when she left."

"Why'd she leave?"

"She was fascinated by the supernatural. She didn't want to hunt. This is a hunting family." She walked over to me and placed the picture in front of me.

"This is your mother, 16 years old. This picture was taken 2 months before she left." She smiled down at the picture.

"She didn't leave, did she? You banished her."

"She was killed by Kali, right?" She sat back down and crossed her arms.

"Your mother probably wouldn't be dead if she actually became a hunter. A long, long time ago, your mother was faced with Kali, though she was just a beta then. Your mom had a chance to kill her but she loved the supernatural so much, she attacked her instructor and let Kali get away. That's when we sent her away, to Charleston, South Carolina. Far away so she couldn't, wouldn't, come back."