Chapter Three

It was pouring by the time we got back to Beacon Hills and pulled up to the Animal Clinic. Scott threw Derek over his shoulder and rushed him inside as I held the door open.

Deaton threw everything off the examination table, and the four of us all helped lower Derek onto it. Deatons face filled with shock when he finally got a good look at what we were dealing with. I'm not sure anybody's seen anything like this before.

"Wow," he said.

"Wow?" Stiles questioned. "Wow as in, I've seen this before and I know exactly what to do kind of wow? That's kind of the wow I'm hoping for."

"I think you might be overestimating my abilities," said Deaton.

Seeing Derek like this brought back a flood of memories, a place of happiness before everything fell apart. Back then Derek was practically my big brother. Sure, this is him a little older than I remember but, this is the one that would let me put barbie make up on him, play dress up with me and Cora, give me candy before dinner. I missed this Derek.

I grabbed his hand, noticing right away that he felt like ice. "He's cold, really cold,"

Deaton grabbed his other hand, feeling the same temperature as I had. He examined the rest of Derek, shining a light into his eyes to check his pupils.

"Do you think this is permanent?" Scott asked.

"I'm not sure a medical diagnosis is even adequate," said Deaton. "This is well beyond my experience."

"So what do we do?" Stiles asks.

"Until he wakes up?" Deaton said. "Probably not much,"

I continued to hold his hand, placing my hand on the side of his face. Please be okay. I just got you back.

"It might be best to leave him with me," said Deaton, causing my head to shoot up. "He'll be safe here."

"You mean from Kate?" asked Stiles.

"If she's alive and she is who you say she is, she won't be able to walk past that gate."

"Why would she want to do this to him?" I ask, looking at Deaton sadly. I feel Stiles place his hand on my shoulder for comfort.

"Knowing Kate, it probably won't be for any reason that's any good but for her," answered Deaton.

"And bad for everyone else," added Stiles.

Deaton nodded. I place my hand on top of Stiles'; looking back at him, I notice him rolling his neck. It's been a long night, and I know that we're all pretty drained. None of us could have expected this.

"Hey, you guys should probably go home. he doesn't look to be in any danger," said Deaton. "So the rest of you should probably get some sleep? It is a school night. You all need to start taking care of your own lives again."

"Someone should stay with him," said Scott.

"I-I don't think it should be me. I-I can't stand to see him like this." I removed my hand from Derek's and stood up.

"I'll stay," Lydia offered. "My grades are fine. Despite missing a few classes."

"Uh, so not okay with this," muttered Stiles.

"Guys," she looked at the three of us. "Go."

"Text us if anything happens." I gave Lydia a quick hug.

"No, still not okay with this." Stiles said.

I grabbed his arm and pulled him out, Scott following us.