Chapter 4

I walk briskly down the chilly stone corridor, wrapping my cloak tighter around myself. The one thing that I hate about Hogwarts at this time of year is how cold it gets and the lack of central heating (it's a marvelous muggle invention that my mum had installed in our house two years ago). A group of girls walk past me, probably giggling to themselves about whoever they want to ask them to the Yule ball. It's fair to say that Triwizard fever has set in since the champions were chosen this past week, my dear older brother representing Hogwarts along with Potter.

I grit my teeth as I remember the past couple of weeks, since that strange day outside the Shrieking Shack. Draco has been all but constantly shadowing me and Potter keeps popping up as well, causing unwarranted awkwardness. Something is up and I don't know what. Charlie is convinced that Potter has a crush on me, as well as Draco, and it's essentially them both fighting over me. I honestly don't like all this attention and fuss. I'm okay with Draco hanging around, as I hardly get to see him at school usually and well, he's Draco. But Potter gets on my last nerve, I swear I'm going to hex him the next time he tries to put his nose in my business. And if he does indeed have a crush on me then he will be highly disappointed when I inevitably reject him.

Lost in my thoughts, I quickly turn a corner only to come into contact with another person, causing my books to fly out of my arms in a sporadic fashion and land on the stone tiled floor. I would have certainly joined them if it weren't for a pair of strong, gentle arms holding me upright. Glancing up, I find the one and only Draco Malfoy staring down at me with a shít eating grin upon his perfect, pink lips. I let out a sigh of relief, blushing heavily.

"I thought I told you to meet me in the library so we can study. I've been looking for you for ages" He speaks, feigning hurt and letting me out of his embrace. I shrug, hurriedly recollecting my books from the ground and doing my best to hide my burning cheeks, before standing straight once again. I glance up at him when the blood vessels in my face have settled down.

"I was studying in the Ravenclaw common room and fell asleep, sorry" I frown, biting my lip gently. He runs a hand through his tousled platinum locks. "Was Drakey-poo worried?" I giggle in a mocking tone, poking his shoulder.

"Yes, I was" He responds, dropping his gaze to his feet momentarily before making eye contact and causing my giggle to catch in my throat. His grey orbs stare straight into my brown eyes, creating an awkward silence between the both of us.

"I'm sorry, but is there a purpose to this conversation? Because I have to return these books before the library closes" I ask, impatiently shifting on my feet and nervously tucking a stray hair behind my ear. The silence is unsettling and the tension in the air is like crackling static electricity.

"Um, yeah. I was just wondering if... Um, if-you-would-like to go to the Yule-Ball-with-me?" He mumbles quietly, biting his bottom lip in anticipation.

"What?" I almost choke on my tongue as I clutch onto my books in shock.

"Do you want to go to the Yule Ball with me?" He repeats. His cheeks are flushed heavily and resemble the colour of a muggle post box. I smile slightly and glance down at my feet nervously, as my cheeks replicate that same colour of red.

"Yeah, sure" I respond, raising my head to look up at the tall male before me. His face breaks into a huge smile and he immediately envelopes my body in a bone crushing hug. I feel the air being knocked out of my lungs when he lifts me off of my feet and spins me around. A small giggle escapes my lips as he gently sets me down.

"Mr Draco. Miss Diggory" A firm voice speaks, shattering the bubble of happiness that previously surrounded us. We both turn to find Professor Snape giving us a hard glare from down the corridor. I swiftly step away from Draco and reorganize my books.

"What are you two doing out of your common rooms at this hour?" He demands, nearing us. I immediately drop my head in disgrace. I hate getting into trouble. It's one of the many reasons that despite Draco stating I'd be a great Slytherin, I think I'd make a terrible Slytherin. 

"I was returning books to the library and Draco interrupted me, sir. It's his fault, I swear it" I straighten up and speak steadily, smirking devilishly at Draco with a finger pointed firmly in his direction. He sticks his tongue out at me in a somewhat defiant response.

"Very well then. Mister Malfoy, I'll see you in my office. Good evening, Miss Diggory. Best hurry before Madam Pince locks up for the night" He speaks in his usual dull tone. I nod quickly before breaking into a near run in the direction of the library.

I rush through the giant wooden doors to find Madam Pince putting out the candles with her wand. She gives me a hard glare before nodding towards the desk covered in returned books and scrolls. Hurriedly, I place them on the oak surface before quickly exiting. When I finally reach an empty corridor I stop to catch my breath, leaning against the cold limestone wall.

"Draco asked to me to the Yule Ball" I whisper, allowing my brain to process the events that just conspired. "Draco asked me to the Yule Ball" I repeat and giggle quietly, smiling widely and jumping up and down ecstatically. I've got to go tell Charlotte. I instantly freeze as I notice a small group of students turning a corner twenty feet away from me. I quickly recollect myself and almost sprint towards Ravenclaw tower in a flustered state.

Answering the riddle that the portrait asks, I quickly stumble through the portrait hole and up the stairs to my dorm room. I burst through the door, panting heavily. Charlotte sits up immediately with a look of confusion on her face.

"Draco asked me to the Yule Ball" I splutter, still trying to slow my breathing. Her eyes widen and she jumps out of bed, running over to me and grabbing my shoulders.

"Please tell me that you said yes!" She shouts, shaking me roughly. I blink rapidly while she continues to shake me by my shoulders.

"Yes, do you think I'm stupid?" I reply, removing her hands from my shoulders once she stops shaking me. Walking over to my bed, I kick my shoes off and sit on the edge of the blue quilt. Merlin, my black tom cat, lets out a meow of discomfort before stretching and jumping off of the bed. I drop my head into my hands, letting out a long exhale. "What am I gonna do? I haven't got a dress yet. And the ball is in a week, everyone placed their dress orders weeks ago" I speak, shutting my eyes as I try to work my way out of this conundrum. Charlie clears her throat, causing me to glance up at her.

"It's a good thing that I thought ahead" She smiles, pulling an emerald green dress from behind her back. It's a simple sleeveless design with floral details at the bottom of the flowing skirt. My eyes widen and my jaw becomes unhinged as I gaze at the beautiful garment. "I sent an owl to your mum to tell her that you hadn't gotten yourself a dress yet and she responded with this" She grins, hanging the dress at the top of the drapes on the end of my bed. I stay sat there, stunned into silence before shaking my head and standing up.

"What exactly did you say to my mother?" I ask, staring at Charlotte whilst running my hand along the soft material of the dress.

"Uh, I told her that you have a date with a certain blonde of the male variety" Charlie speaks, sitting down on the edge of her own bed. I give her pointed look and she shrugs. "Hey, it's not lying if it actually happened though" I laugh at her response, collapsing onto my bed in a fit of giggles.