Chapter 9

Despite many fruitless attempts from Draco to talk to me, I haven't spoken to him since the night of the Yule Ball a fortnight ago and it's now the last day of term before the Christmas holidays. I gaze out of the window, watching the fluffy snowflakes slowly fall from the white sky. I cast my mind back to the start of my almost 15 year long friendship with the mercurial blonde and try to puzzle as to why he would do something like that to me. A stray tear escapes my tear duct and slowly slides down my left cheek.

A sudden tap on my shoulder breaks me from my reverie, causing me to hastily wipe at my face. I turn to see Charlie stood with none other than Hermione Granger. They both watch me nervously as they perch themselves next to me on the cold stone ledge.

"I was just wondering if you were okay, as you haven't shown up to Ancient Runes study club over the past few weeks" Hermione speaks, concern evident in her warm brown orbs as she searches my face for evidence of emotion.

"I'm as okay as you can be when your lifelong best friend betrays your trust and breaks your heart" I reply, curtly. A crack in my voice glaringly obvious and another tear steadily glides down my cheek. The girls watch me with trepidation whilst I bring my knees up to my chest and tightly wrap my arms around them. "I just... love him... so much" I whisper, resting my chin softly on my knees and allowing the tears to fall freely down my pallid face. My heart aching painfully in my chest.

"Um... I-er. Well... Have you told him how you feel?" Hermione speaks, regathering herself after my confession of love for Draco obviously shocked her slightly. I shake my head solemnly in response. "Have you talked to him about the bet? His side of the story may be worth listening to, because I know Malfoy can be a bit of an ass to people... but he seemed to really care for you" She places a hand on my shoulder in a bid to comfort me. I swallow slowly, realization washing over me that Hermione Granger, as always, is indeed right. I hadn't listened to him when he tried to explain and I never gave him a chance to either. All I'd done was avoid and ignore him. But can you blame me. He acted like a complete jerk. I think I deserve to be petty for a couple of weeks.

"Vicky, it might be worth talking to him at your parents' new year party. That way you can give yourself some time to process everything and work out what to say" Charlotte adds, smiling gently at me. Her words wash over me and I realize that she too is right. I nod in response and take a deep breath before releasing my legs and standing from the window ledge.

"I need to go pack my trunk and think about a few things. Thanks for the talk, guys. It's given me... food for thought" I bid them farewell and walk away in the direction of the Ravenclaw common room.

...

"Vicky, the Malfoy's are here!" My mothers voice shouts from downstairs. I take a sharp breath and run my hands down the soft material of my black mini dress. The Christmas holidays had flown by. Too quickly for my liking. And now it was New Year's Eve. The day of my family's New Year party and the day that I have to face Draco for the first time in nearly 3 weeks. Nervously, I take a deep breath and open my bedroom door, timidly stepping out into the hall. I must act like everything is normal, as my parents are completely unaware of the events that conspired on the evening of the Yule Ball. And they still think that Draco and I are best friends.

My silver heels click against the dark wooden floor as I make my way to the top of the staircase. When I turn to descend the mahogany steps, my eyes fall on Draco whom I hadn't seen in weeks. It takes all of my effort not to gasp or stop walking completely. Dark circles surround his grey eyes, which once full of life now seem dull and empty. His tall frame looks thinner than usual with his once fitted suit seeming slightly loose on him.

"Why hello, Victoria" I am greeted by Auntie Narcissa as I reach the bottom of the staircase. She immediately takes me into her arms, squeezing me gently. She steps back and gives me an odd look. "You've lost weight, my dear. Is everything alright?" She questions, concern evident in her tone. I notice Draco's eyes instantly look at me, full of worry and some other emotion that I can't quite put my finger on.

"I'm fine, Aunt Cissy. It's great to see you" I reply, plastering a fake smile upon my face. Her eyes scan my face for any sign of discontent before she smiles back at me.

"Something's up with Draco. Could you please talk to him? I've asked but he won't talk to me. You're the only one he talks to" She whispers, pleading with me. Sighing, I nod in response, as I too was curious as to what is up with him.

...

Later that night whilst the adults are sat in the lounge drinking Fire Whiskey and reminiscing about days-gone-by, I find Draco sat alone on a window ledge in the upstairs hallway. His lifeless grey eyes stare out at the cloudless night sky. The moonlight causes his blonde hair to glow a magnificent silvery blue in the dark hallway. Cautiously, I walk towards him at a slow, restrained pace; freezing completely when he turns to look at me.

"Um, do you mind if I sit with you?" I ask, nervously playing with a stray lock of my brown hair as I do so. His eyes light up for a second and he nods slowly, patting the spot beside him on the ledge. I timidly make my way over to him and perch myself beside him. Taking a deep breath before I speak. "We need to talk." A hushed silence falls over us as I attempt to tackle the elephant in the room.

"Sure, what do you want to talk about?" I glance up at him in shock. I haven't heard him speak all evening and just the sound of his voice makes various emotions begin to bubble inside me once more. His grey eyes watch me whilst a small smile forms on my lips.

"Explain the whole bet thing with Blaise and then..." I pause, trying to gather my thoughts. "I may forgive you" A small smile places itself upon his plump lips as my words grace his ears.

"Well... I-um. There's no way I can explain this without saying some things that may ruin our friendship" Draco speaks, scratching the back of his neck. His voice is low and he drops his gaze to his hands that rest in his lap. Gently, I take his hands in mine, causing him to look up at me.

"Draco, I doubt it's that bad. Try me." My voice remains calm and strong, despite how nervous I actually am internally at the moment. He stares at me silently, before gulping slowly. His Adam's apple bobbing slightly as he does. "Draco, we've been best friends all our lives. There is nothing you can say to change that" I smile in a bid to reassure him, knowing full well that if I ever confessed my true feelings to him that would completely alter our friendship. 

"Well, the bet to get you to go with to the Yule Ball wasn't meant out of spite. It was more of a... um-encouragement" He speaks, nerves apparent in his voice. His grey eyes remain locked with mine. "You see, Blaise was trying to encourage me to ask you to the Yule Ball because..." He freezes, fear in his eyes as he gazes at me. One of his hands reaches up and pulls a stray lock of hair from my face. Silence falls over us once again but this time the air is filled with nervousness, anxiety and anticipation.

"Draco, what is it? Why did Blaise have to encourage you?" I ask, becoming incredibly impatient with each passing moment.

"Because... I was too nervous to ask you, because I love you, Toria" And with that, he cups the side of my face with his soft hand and gently places his lips upon mine.