Chapter 17

Humming to myself, I stare out of the window at the dull late winters day before me. The school year was back into full swing and things seemed to be returning to a state of normalcy, besides the odd occasion of Draco disappearing off to do something. He said that it was prefect duties, and so I thought nothing of it really. I cast my mind back to fifth year when I received my owl stating that I had been chosen as a prefect for Ravenclaw. Under normal circumstances, I would've jumped at the opportunity, however at that point in time I was still grieving the loss of my dear brother and I truly wasn't in the right head space to take on extra duties at school. Draco, however, thrived in the role, especially when he was recruited by Professor Umbridge to be a part of the 'Inquisitorial Squad'. The power probably went a bit to his head, but he said that he enjoyed it, and part of me believes he mainly did it to try and make his dad notice him. However, I still find it highly amusing how he was supposed to be part of the team that were enforcing Umbridge's ridiculous 'Educational Decrees' such as girls and boys keeping six inches apart, when at the same time we'd be sneaking off to a random broom cupboard to make out or swapping saliva in a nook in the library. I laugh quietly to myself as I watch rain droplets begin to fall from the grey sky outside of the window. 

"Vicky, there you are!" I am quickly broken from my reverie when Charlie and Hermione burst into the dorm room. They're both panting heavily with panicked looks on there faces.

"What's up?" I ask, closing the open book that lays in my lap. 

"It's Draco. You need to come now" Charlie blurts out quickly, and I hastily throw my book on my bed and run after them down the stairwell and out of Ravenclaw tower. My heart is racing so fast that I can hear it pounding in my ears, as we approach the sixth floor boys' bathroom. I follow them slowly into the dimly lit room. The floor is flooded with water that I can hear gushing from what must be a burst pipe in the distance. We continue to walk round the dark, vacant stalls and panic fills my veins when I spot what can only be blood mixed in with the water. Desperately, I push past Hermione and Charlotte and my eyes fall on him. I fall to my knees, the crimson red water soaking through my tights and the hem of my skirt. Laying lifeless on the floor, his white shirt soaked red with blood, is Draco. Professor Snape is leaning over him, waving his wand in various motions and muttering incantations. Tears fall freely from my eyes, as I sit there and watch in a shocked silence. 

Hands attempt to grab my shoulders and pull me away, but nothing budges me until I spot Potter off to the side of the professor. Anger flashes through my body. It was him. My eyes narrow in on Potter, as I stand and draw my wand, preparing to hex him into the next century. Hermione and Charlie hurriedly pull me back by my arms. 

"You'll pay for this, Potter!" I shout, tears streaming down my face while I am dragged out of the bathroom by Hermione, Charlie and now Weasel-bee. They situate me on a stone bench in the corridor and watch me carefully as I cry into my hands.

"He'll be alright. Snape is patching him up as we speak, and you know there isn't anything that Madam Pomfrey can't heal" Charlie speaks soothingly, rubbing my shoulder. I remove my hands from my face, catching a glimpse of my blood-soaked tights and skirt.

"So much blood" I mutter. My eyes glaze over and I stare off into space until Madam Pomfrey and some of the hospital wing staff rush past us in a blur with a stretcher. I stand to follow them when they leave, but Charlie grabs my arm to stop me. "Char, I need to be with him" I stare into her eyes, pleading silently. She sighs and begrudgingly releases me. I race after Professor Snape and Madam Pomfrey towards the hospital wing. One of the attendants stops me as I am about to walk through the door.

"Due to the nature of his injuries, only family are allowed to visit Mr Malfoy at the moment" They speak solemnly. I feel my heart fall to my stomach.