Part 5

The events of the night swirled around in Randhir's head. He had never imagined that the waif-like Sanyukta who had practically grown up before his eyes had endured so much as a child. How quick he had been in judging her! Fortunately he found her on the beach just before Vishad could assault her. For Randhir beating up Vishad would be easy, but he did not want Sanyukta to suffer any more trauma that night, he would have to deal with him differently. He felt a wave of concern for her, somehow wanting to bring a little succour to her oppressed soul. Having mulled over the issue long enough he rose, reached for his laptop, worked on something before getting a printout. He made an urgent phone call to someone apologising for having called so late before sorting out his business. He then made another call and gave some clear instructions to the person on the other side. WIth determination on his face he left the room briefly, walked to another part of the house and knocked firmly on the door. 

For a couple of minutes there was no response so he knocked again, calling out to the person inside. The door opened cautiously and seeing an opportunity Randhir pushed his way into the room. "You are taking the 7.30 am flight back to Mumbai, start packing. Here's your ticket.  You have already been checked in and the driver will pick you up by 5.30 am to drop you to the airport." It took every ounce of his willpower to avoid smashing the face of the person he was talking to. "Bhai, I am really sorry, it was a huge mistake, it will never happen again." As Vishad spoke Randhir could see there was not even a shred of remorse on his face. "Which part of what I spoke about is not clear to you? And there is no question of you trying to pull such a stunt on anyone again because I will personally haul you over the coals and ensure you are disinherited. Be ready in time, Parth will accompany you to the airport. Don't even think of trying to piss me off , if you do I'll forget that we are related." 

Issuing him a final warning Randhir turned around and left, retracing his steps back to his own room. He could see her lying still, curled up in a fetal position. As he was about to drift off to sleep he heard a whimpering sound from her, she was still reeling under the influence of the drug. Concerned, he walked over to the bed to check on her and found that she was awake, her sleep probably disturbed by a nightmare. "I want to go home Randhir, please." She was barely audible. "It is quite late, and it is not safe for you to be home alone. In the morning Parth will help move your things here, you can return home after a week when your mother gets back." He explained patiently, unsure if he was taking the right decision. There was no love lost between his mother and Anju and Sanyukta. However for the moment her security seemed paramount, everything else was secondary.

"But he is staying under the same roof. I don't want to be anywhere near him." She pleaded her case. "Don't worry, I will personally make sure he leaves Goa by the morning flight. If you want to report him for his act I will have him detained but you have to be strong enough mentally to endure the investigation. I suggest we let go of the matter now, he will not dare defy my warning. This room is the safest place for you right now, other than Parth nobody knows you are here. Just try to get some sleep, you don't want dark circles and a tired look at the wedding tomorrow!" As he assured her she lay down on the bed facing him. "Stay here with me Randhir!" She held on to him, still feeling vulnerable and scared. Sensing her need for security, he gently nudged her to lie down on the bed, covered her with the duvet and asked her to close her eyes. "I am not going anywhere, I will be in the same room, on the couch." He tried to free his arm but she just would not let go. 

"No, you sleep here, this is your bed, I'll sleep on the couch." She tried to rise. "You will not be comfortable on the couch." He said, trying to be as accommodating as he could. " Sleep right here then, I will feel safer." She tried convincing him. "It would not be proper Sanyukta, I am sure you understand." He sounded exasperated. "I know when a man looks at me improperly, Randhir. Vishad had been eyeing me for a while,but I did not imagine he would stoop so low. Other kids have to be warned about the good touch bad touch. I learnt it the hard way, from my own father, he killed my innocence too soon. I know this sounds creepy, but I have stalked you when you were out with girls. I know they submit to you willingly, you never use force. When you changed my clothes earlier you never once touched me inappropriately. I could sense it but could not move even when I tried to, guess it was because of the drug. But I am not delusional. I trust you more than any man, even Parth."

"When Mom suggested that I should go to work with you I was upset, I dislike the feeling of being enslaved by someone. After tonight I realised you were really different. If it makes my Mom happy if I work with you I am willing to give it a shot. Just don't let me handle money, if I make an error we cannot compensate you." She took a deep breath as she finished. "You speak like a grown-up, I need to remember you are still in your teens. I am relieved that you are no longer conflicted about going to work. Your mother cares about you deeply, but you know that already. Let time heal your past, do not scrape the scabs that have formed, not even because of people like Vishad. Now go to sleep, or at least try to get some rest. Don't know about you, but I really need to lie down. Some day a man of your choice will share your bed, until then you need to take care of your sanctity. I will be on the couch, just holler if you need anything." He wished her goodnight and walked over to the couch, leaving just the night lamp glowing. Before she could protest she found he was fast asleep. She just closed her eyes and tried to savour the feeling of being in his bed, albeit without him.