Part 17

"Randhir, maaka niz yena, who sleeps so early at half past ten?" Sanyukta complained that she was unable to sleep.

"Fine, put on your earphones and listen to some music or count sheep in your head, do whatever it takes but let me sleep, I have an early start tomorrow. And the liquor is locked away so don't get any ideas!" Randhir told her, switching off the lights and going to bed.

"How rude, I never touched the liquor in your house!" She replied, indignant at his insinuation.

"As far as you are concerned there is always a first time for any mischief and I am not taking any chances!" He knew she was unlikely to do what he had just suggested but an idle Sanyukta was a devil's workshop.

Unlike her he was perfectly capable of emptying his mind and falling off to sleep like any average male. "Don't overthink, instead put your brain in hibernation mode and you will be able to sleep." He said to her,  wondering why women chose to clutter their mind with thoughts and then complained of sleeplessness.

He must have enjoyed undisturbed sleep for about half an hour when he distinctly heard the sound of rain clattering on the window panes. As he sat up and switched on the night lamp he realised that Sanyukta was not in bed. He checked the bathroom; it was empty. And then it struck him, there could be only one place she would be at this moment. 

He walked outside through the corridor toward the open deck and right enough, there she was, lying on her back with her feet slightly raised, welcoming the rain as it pelted her. 

"Hey Mowgli, if you feel clean enough after bathing in the rain you can drag yourself into the bathroom and change your clothes! He shouted at her. "No way, it is the season's first rain and I havn't had my fill yet. Why don't you join me?" She yelled back.

"No thanks , you have soaked enough rain for both of us, now come back here!" He was getting impatient putting up with her eccentricities. He waited for a while but she continued to lie there unperturbed. Enough already, he decided, as he peeled off his tee and walked toward her. " I knew you would come here, enjoy the rain with me! You look sexy when wet Randhir!" She laughed. 

"And you look like a limp ragdoll, come on, let's go!" He tried to get her to stand up but she resisted. Without a warning he bent down and swept her up in his arms and walked into the house, locking the door behind him. "Such a kill joy you can be!" She whined as he carried her straight into the bathroom, switching on the water heater and putting her down.

"Don't come out before you take a proper shower and dry yourself completely!" Where is Mary Poppins when you need her to knock sense into an overgrown baby girl, he thought to himself as he grabbed another towel, drying himself . He changed his wet shorts and went back for the tee he had cast off, slipping it on over his shoulders.

He climbed downstairs, made a couple of mugs of strong black coffee, sweetening it with some demerara sugar

He climbed downstairs, made a couple of mugs of strong black coffee, sweetening it with some demerara sugar. Forgive me Lord for what I am about to do, he mumbled as he reached out for the hidden bottle of Jameson Irish whiskey from a cabinet and poured a measure each into the mugs. He topped it with cream and carried the mugs upstairs.

"Are you done, Sanyukta?" He asked her. "I need your clothes, mine are all wet!" She shouted back. He handed her the  set of clothes that she had worn previously. As she emerged, wiping her hair dry, he dragged her back to the bathroom, and blow-dried her hair. 

"Drink this!" He said as he handed her a mug of coffee. She took a generous sip, and gave him a big grin, recognising the taste of alcohol in it. "Bless the cow that  gave this cream!" She said shamelessly and he could not help but smile. "Your liver will be fit for making pate de foie gras by the time you turn twenty five, you drunkard!" He told her.

"Hey, I am a Goenkar, I can handle it!" She mumbled. "But Mommy dearest does not know about it, right?" He smirked at her. " You cannot be that cheap to snitch on me Randhir!" She emptied her mug in a go. "Just don't overdo things, there will be time enough to enjoy life when you come of age." He explained.  "Then why did you let me have booze now?" She pointed out the contradiction.

"It was meant to revive you and prevent you from catching a cold, not to get you tipsy!" He said. "As if I'll get high on one drink! If you let me have yours as well, maybe then!" She looked at him with puppy dog eyes. He rose and tipped his coffee into the sink, rinsing both the mugs before setting them aside on the counter. "Ouch! That hurt, flushing happiness down the drain!" She said dramatically.

"Rinse your mouth before you sleep!" He reminded her, sending her back to the bathroom. 

"Kaleez muje kitey mhanta, tu mujya kaalzaat raavta! (What does my heart say-actual word is liver- it says you live in my heart!) She sang loudly. "You just made that up, there is no such Konkani song!" He told her. "Well, what can I say, C2H5-OH can always get the creative juices flowing! Haav tuzo mog korta, Randhir!" She declared her love for him once more. 

"You've said it before, now go off to sleep!" He switched off the lights once more. 

"Why do you only date classy rich girls?" She wanted to know in her sobriety but could only ask now.

"Correction, not rich girls, but girls from my social sphere. Well,  the reason is simple, our priorities are clear, none of them are looking for commitment. It is all about meeting, dining and generally having a good time. Contrary to what people assume dating does not necessarily mean sleeping around, it means seeing like-minded, fun loving-people socially." He clarified.

"So if you and I went for a movie and had dinner that would be a date too?" She asked him.

"Absolutely not, I would not date you even after you turned 18. You are a child with a weakness for alcohol, you need sobering down, not wining and dining!" He made his standpoint clear.

"If I accompany you to Karwar tomorrow that would be like going to work with you."

"No it would not, and who said anything about taking you?"

"Why, you cannot trust yourself around me if I accompanied you?"

"No, that is because where I am going there are no facilities for young ladies like you, so it would be inconvenient. Besides there is nothing there for you to do!"

"Please na Randhir, it is only a day trip, let me come with you! Mom will be back on Saturday and I cannot go anywhere after that!"

"If you stop bugging me now and behave yourself I may just think about it! Now, like a nice kid just sleep off before I gag and bind you!"

"Thank you so much Randhir, you are such a sweetheart!" She gave him a tight hug and a flying kiss before she flopped down on her pillow.

Silly eager beaver! He thought to himself before going off to sleep.