Part 63

"Aunty, please! I understand that you may be too busy to take time off but at least let Sanyukta attend!" Parth was at Anju's place in Mumbai to formally invite mother and daughter for his wedding. No matter how frosty the relationship between Anju and his mother Anju had been his teacher and Mowgli was a childhood friend. 

"You know Parth, it is not about how busy I am! You know the truth, it is best for me to avoid being in the presence of your parents, although my blessings will always be with Vidushi and you. I know the two of you will make a splendid couple. Just hope Randhir finds himself an ideal partner soon enough." Anju's lips curved into a genuine smile as she plied Parth with homemade snacks and coffee. Sanyukta blushed as Parth winked at her quickly. Fortunately Anju did not notice their interlude.

"Ok Mowgli, if you cannot make it to Goa I want you there at the cocktail party in Mumbai. The resort is just a short distance from where you live, you have no reason for an excuse!" Parth paused as Anju turned to go to the kitchen with the empty coffee mugs.

"I am sure my brother would be pleased to see you too, so make sure not to disappoint us. My parents will just put in a brief appearance, then we'll have only friends around. I am counting on you to be there!" He whispered to Sanyukta.

Sanyukta was perplexed. As much as she would love to attend because it presented a chance to meet Randhir, the prospect of bumping into Renuka made her nervous. But Parth made her promise that she'd be there. After chatting for a while Parth said goodbye and left to go.

"Ma, I know I have asked you this many times. But why did you not remarry after you took up the teaching job? Maybe your life would be different if you had found a partner!" Sanyukta was familiar with her mother's response yet she was seeking any answers that had not emerged earlier.

"Sanyu,  I have told you the reasons so many times! My marriage wasn't the most brilliant experience. After complete lack of compatibility and having suffered so much, widowhood was actually quite liberating. I was a single parent but it gave me the right to choose how I wanted to live. I was no longer in constant fear of being beaten up or blamed for that man's misfortunes. Moreover my new-found economic independence gave me the confidence to make my own decisions. Marrying again was a risk I was unwilling to take, a stepfather could turn out to be as bad as your abusive father." Anju had other reasons but chose not to disclose them to her daughter. Nevertheless Sanyukta suspected that her mother's not having gotten over Harsh Shekhawat was a strong one. To Anju's mind nobody was good enough to replace him.

Sanyukta asked herself if unrequited love was enough to live by. Anybody else would have moved on and tried to find happiness after a failed relationship. On the other hand her mother had lived her best years on just memories of a few moments spent with her first love who had visibly prospered after marrying someone else. Since her early teens this deal had struck Sanyukta as unfair and if she quizzed her mother the standard reply was that it was enough to see Harsh Shekhawat doing well for himself. 

After brooding for months on whether or not she should accept Parth's invitation Sanyukta decided that she would not give up the way her mother did. Randhir would be in Mumbai for a short break, she'd never forgive herself if she had not tried approaching him. She was never this eager to know the outcome. She had to plan carefully, it was important to show restraint. She had to be understated in her attire and manner alike.

She treated herself to complete body and hair spa twice in the fortnight before the occasion. Never one to lavish attention to herself she was glad Gayatri had gifted her a chic cocktail dress that was well cut and she invested in a pair of smart shoes and a clutch bag. She checked her reflection carefully one last time before disembarking from the cab she hired. Her looks would definitely pass muster at the classy soirée.