Part 30

"What the...!" Randhir swore as he spotted Sanyukta lying on his bed. He had emerged fresh from his shower and had a towel wrapped around his waist. Fortunately she was facing away and he rushed to pull on random clothes. "Are you dressed now?" She asked, her face still buried in a pillow. "Yes, you can get up now. What are you doing here, girl?" He asked, brushing his hair into place. "Well, the three of us have been waiting to celebrate your birthday! Two people don't really make a celebration, so these two decided to crash the party to save the day!"She muttered, turning around finally and holding up a wicker basket with a pair of absolutely adorable pug puppies.

 "Well, the three of us have been waiting to celebrate your birthday! Two people don't really make a celebration, so these two decided to crash the party to save the day!"She muttered, turning around finally and holding up a wicker basket with a p...

"Babies, say hello to Randhir, it will be his birthday in some time!" As she addressed them they observed her, listening intently and wagging their tails, with a curious expression on their squashed faces behind their short muzzles and their limpid eyes. One of them woofed a short bark and Sanyukta fussed over him as if he were her baby. "This one is more assertive, being a boy!" She explained and Randhir stepped towards her to take a closer look at the puppies. He greeted them in a friendly way and patted them affectionately. "Are they my birthday present?" He asked her. "No, they are not!" She said emphatically. "I just borrowed them from Joe, my neighbour, for the evening. I told Parth I needed to show these to you, so that I could gain entry into your room. I am smart, am I not? The puppies have not been named yet and Joe is looking for buyers, there are more back at his place." She added.

"Well, they are really cute! So where is my birthday present?" Randhir asked. Sanyukta stepped before him and pecked him on his cheek. "Happy Birthday in advance boss, I have looked forward to doing this all day! Actually I wanted to show up wrapped in a satin ribbon but I wasn't too sure if you would appreciate the humour of it!" She grinned at him and he grinned right back. "You have no sense of propriety, young lady!" He said, referring to her boldness. "As if, just a few days ago I was living in your room and sharing your bed, have you forgotten that? Which other girl can claim that officially? Come on, you need to cut your cake first!" She picked up a palm-sized cake box and set it before him after unwrapping the cake. 

Randhir had thought she had picked up a cupcake but was surprised to see the perfectly iced miniature chocolate cake mounted on its own confectionery cake stand. She stuck a candle on top and handed him the plastic knife. He blew the candle and she sang the birthday song for him cheerfully. He divided the cake into half and she fed him a piece, helping herself to the other. "Are you not going to let the puppies have cake?" He asked her. "No, sweet stuff like this is not good for their bellies. Hey, you can buy these guys if you want to, I cannot afford them myself. But you don't seem to know the first thing about managing puppies, plus you have to go to Mumbai soon. Hope they find a good home." She muttered.

"This miniature cake was a brilliant idea, I have never had one before! Thank you, Mowgli!" He smiled warmly

"This miniature cake was a brilliant idea, I have never had one before! Thank you, Mowgli!" He smiled warmly. "I know, am I not an absolute delight, just like this present of yours?" She fluttered her eyelids dramatically, handing him a wrapped gift box. "Open it now!" She insisted. He opened it gingerly to reveal a porcelain figurine of Faline. "I know it is not really a birthday present for a guy, but it is a keepsake. I will cherish Bambi forever because you gave him to me. I hope you preserve Faline too. She is particularly fragile, just like my feelings, please take good care of her." She looked into his eyes. "Come here, Mowgli girl!" He whispered and wrapped his arms around her. "I hope you keep the kid inside you alive always. I am not sure I am sentimental enough, but I appreciate this gesture of yours. You are sweet, and hope life treats you well like you deserve." He kissed her on the forehead.

"I will leave now, I don't want you to be late, your friends must be waiting for you!" She said, not really wanting to walk away

"I will leave now, I don't want you to be late, your friends must be waiting for you!" She said, not really wanting to walk away. "Why don't you join us?" He offered. "Thanks but no thanks, I won't gel with the company. You have a wonderful evening, ok?" She smiled as she turned to go. "I too hope the puppies find themselves a good home. And I owe you a return gift, Mowgli!" He called out after her as she picked up the basket of puppies and turned to leave. "Just don't give yourself to anybody yet, I still have to grow up!" She laughed to see his expression as she shut the door behind her gently, marching back homeward.

"Only you can set me a challenge like this, Mowgli!" Randhir spoke to himself, caressing the Faline figurine. Delicate just like the young girl's heart, he thought. He wrapped the figurine back into the box, securing it carefully with bubble wrap and newspaper. He placed the box in his wardrobe. If he left Faline on display a maid could break her while dusting and Sanyukta would feel bad. He did not want that to happen, the figurine was a metaphor for her heart. He smiled thinking of how only Sanyukta could come up with such unique ideas. 

He had been given expensive gifts before and had been to countless parties but he was going to remember this tiny birthday cake, the puppies and the Faline doll for a long time. It was his only Enid Byltonesque birthday celebration. Trust Mowgli to come up with something offbeat, he smiled as he thought how she would find it hard to sleep thinking of whether or not he would let a girl come close to him tonight. She was too young to get over her crush and too vulnerable to have her heart broken. Hope she finds a happy home for herself too, just like those puppies. He got dressed and stepped out of his room, calling out to Parth as they had to leave before it got too late.

Just like Randhir had suspected, Sanyukta found it difficult to fall asleep that night. He was an attractive and charming rich young man, girls would throw themselves at him. She thought of the character Rose from the series Two And A Half Men. Just like Rose she was crazy about the protagonist, letting herself into his home at will and moping over not being able to have him. Though her own story was not quite the same, just like Rose she would live on the fringe as far as Randhir was concerned. If I cannot have him, at least let me get over him as painlessly as possible, she thought, praying that Randhir find all things which he truly desired and deserved in life. 

That's how tiny a miniature cake can be, complete with all the details 

:)