Part 27

Sanyukta slept fitfully that night in the hospital, trying to lie still without tossing and turning lest she disturb her sleeping mother. When she opened her eyes it was six in the morning and Anju had already woken up and bathed. Sanyukta went for a shower, emerging fully dressed in a few minutes, trying to towel her hair dry when Randhir entered carrying the breakfast he had promised to bring. Just then a nurse came in to prepare Anju for the surgery and Randhir and Sanyukta were asked to wait outside until she was done.

"You've got puffy eyes!" Randhir remarked, having noticed Sanyukta's fatigued look. The worried girl with the brooding eyes sitting next to him was a far cry from the carefree, feisty teen who had stuffed the potato in the exhaust pipe of his car a few weeks ago. Her mother's health issue was probably minor, but the mere sign of her illness had made Sanyukta realise how unpredictable life could be, she had no relative besides her mother and even the thought of losing her was unbearable. Randhir discerned the turmoil in her head.

"I hope her biopsy report is normal." Sanyukta managed to say. "It will help to appear cheerful, your stress may percolate to her! I miss the kid who looked in my eyes defiantly after having crawled off the mango tree into my room." Randhir smiled as he spoke. "That seems so long ago even if it happened recently." She replied. "You should have your breakfast before it goes cold." Randhir wondered if it would be appropriate to offer to stay with Sanyukta until her mother was wheeled out of surgery. "Thank you, I will, but you better leave now, I will come to work as soon as Ma is conscious!" Sanyukta had mentioned that earlier but it made Randhir uncomfortable. 

"You need to be with her today, take the day off. I'll see you in the evening, and call me if you need anything at all." Randhir said, taking her leave. She had made it clear that she wanted to manage alone, perhaps it was best if he remained supportive but let her handle responsibility like her mother expected her to. He left for work and Sanyukta returned to Anju's room. "Have your breakfast, Sanyukta!" Anju seemed calm as she watched Sanyukta finish the ragi idli with chutney and sip her coffee. Shortly after that Anju was taken into the operation theatre. Sanyukta gave her mother an encouraging smile before moving back to the room.

To occupy herself Sanyukta browsed through a couple of chapters of her physics text. She solved a few problems for practice and then put the books away. She lay down to make up for lost sleep and feel into a deep slumber, only waking up as the door swung open and Anju was brought into the room, still a bit groggy but conscious. "How are you feeling Ma?" Sanyukta remarked. "The doctor said that all went well. We will know more after the biopsy report comes in. I think I'll take a nap, meanwhile you should freshen up and leave for work. We can go home in the evening when you return from the office." Anju told her firmly. 

Sanyukta consulted the doctor who assured her that her mother would be fine without her, and she left for work, albeit reluctantly, she knew Anju would be happier if she did. When she walked into the office she noticed that Randhir was busy on his phone and from his expression it was obvious that the call was personal. Suddenly he noticed her and summoned her to the cabin. She walked in and stood before him, waiting for him to finish the conversation. "Sanyukta just got here, you can ask her yourself!" She heard him say before he handed her the phone. "It's Dad, he wants to speak to you!" Randhir clarified and Sanyukta looked alarmed as she braced herself to speak to Harsh, wondering how to avoid telling him about Anju. 

"Hello Uncle, I hope you are well and enjoying your holiday!" She muttered nervously. "Sanyukta, why is Anju in hospital, what is the matter? Please don't hide anything, I need to know the truth!" Harsh sounded worried, Sanyukta guessed correctly that Renuka was nowhere around him. "She has been suffering from heavy bleeding off late, the doctor advised a D&C and a hormonal IUD insertion to solve the problem. The procedure went off well, she is fine now and I can take her home in the evening." There was no point in keeping anything from Harsh now, he would get to the bottom of it anyway.

"Will the biopsy results come in by evening?" Harsh asked her. "Sanyukta, I want to see a snapshot of the report, please mail it to me as soon as you can before you take her home. And I wish to speak to her if possible!" Harsh's concern was so genuine Sanyukta did not have the heart to say no to him. After managing to convince him that she would comply with his request she returned Randhir's phone. "Sure Dad, I promise I will do so, and don't worry, she is fine or else Sanyukta would not have come back to work!" Randhir assured his father.

As soon as his conversation was over Randhir turned to Sanyukta and explained to her that Harsh had found out about Anju being in the hospital when he called up Mr Alvares to discuss something important regarding a business matter and when he asked about how Sanyukta was coping Basil had unwittingly let it slip that she had taken the morning off to attend to her mother in hospital. An anxious Harsh had called Randhir immediately and Sanyukta had walked into the office in the midst of their conversation. "He wants to speak to your Mom, and I have assured her that I will not let him on about her medical condition." Randhir admitted.

"He still cares about her wellbeing after all these years!" Sanyukta spoke softly. "Randhir, do you think he still..."Her voice trailed off. "Yes he does, it is obvious!" Their eyes met; his gaze was so intense that she looked away. "I think she loves him too, though she has been living in denial all these years." Sanyukta felt awkward, Harsh was married to Randhir's mother. "I guess true love is not easy to forget, no matter what the circumstances. Chill Mowgli, we are having chop suey for lunch, hope that's ok, because I already ordered." He said. "But Randhir..." He did not let her finish. 

"We'll wrap up work early and get your mother discharged from the hospital before their billing desk closes in the evening. And I'll send Dad the biopsy report, hopefully it will ok. Now let's eat, I am hungry, and we have to get back to work as soon as we eat to get to the hospital in time!" The food arrived and they ate quickly, spending the rest of the afternoon buried in work. At half past four Randhir left Basil in charge and drove to the hospital with Sanyukta. He helped her settle the dues and went to collect the biopsy report as Anju got ready to go home. When Randhir handed Sanyukta the report, for a moment her hands trembled and she said a quick prayer as she unfolded the report to read it's contents.