Part 18

Randhir woke up to find that Sanyukta was up and ready much before him, and was pottering around in the kitchen downstairs. It was almost six in the morning. He went to check on Parth and was relieved to find that he had been awakened by Sanyukta and was getting ready reluctantly while Vidushi slept blissfully. Randhir went back to his room for a shower. Emerging from his bath he put on a light steel blue chambray shirt and chinos and switched on his laptop.

After dealing with some important mail he grabbed his phone, wallet, keys and briefcase before going downstairs. In a few minutes the three of them were at the breakfast table. Sanyukta had made tea and some toast. She was dressed in a grey tee and cropped black culottes, and was talking non-stop to Parth in her excitement over the road trip even though he wasn't paying much attention to her, keeping himself busy on his phone. She noticed that Randhir hardly ate anything; in fact he actually looked a bit under the weather.

She ran upstairs and got him an analgesic; coaxing him to take it even as he protested. "Long day ahead Randhir, you know you need this!" As he gulped down the tablet he saw Parth and Sanyukta carrying a couple of Styrofoam boxes into the car. "What are these for?" He asked them. "Parth and I plan to pick up some fresh fish on the trip; we want to have a barbecue dinner tonight, make sure you carry enough cash!" She replied. "We are going for work, not on a picnic!" He reminded them.

"You are not well Randhir, don't take stress!" She muttered. "Stop patronising me Mowgli, I may just change my mind about taking you along!" He mocked her. "In that case, I'll tag along as Parth's guest!" She retorted. "Don't involve me in your squabbles and Mowgli stop talking; let us get started now!" Parth asked Randhir to rest in the back of the car, offering to drive. Sanyukta slipped into the seat next to him and they were off. They avoided playing music; not wanting to disturb Randhir who was sleeping in the backseat.

They hit the road making good speed considering there was not much traffic at this hour. Parth noticed that Sanyukta was uncharacteristically quiet, and decided to leave her alone as he concentrated on the road ahead. Understandably her thoughts were filled with Randhir. The guy worked too hard for his own good, she thought. Agreed he was the older brother and was more responsible but he needed to get Parth involved in the business, she would have to drop a hint soon. While Randhir worked hard Parth was chilling the summer away with Vidushi and their friends, having a jolly good time.

The view from the Cortalim- Agassem Bridge across the Zuari river near Tiswasdi looked serene, the quiet waters reflecting the morning sunlight

The view from the Cortalim- Agassem Bridge across the Zuari river near Tiswasdi looked serene, the quiet waters reflecting the morning sunlight. The recent rains had washed the dust off the vegetation and the lush expanses of the numerous coconut palms and other trees on the way were refreshing to the eye. The sun was being deceptive, as soon as he marched across the sky he would warm the earth and the land would radiate heat, making it difficult to be outdoors, which was where they were going to be!

This trip was aimed at inspecting the site of a chemical factory under construction. It was a new venture of the Shekhawats in partnership with Arvind Kasbekar, a college mate of Harshvardhan Shekhawat. Though the Shekhawats held a larger stake Arvind facilitated clearances and procured the necessary licenses using his local clout. It troubled Sanyukta to know that Randhir was going to be in the hot sun even when he was unwell. There was nothing she could do; the trip was unavoidable as both brothers had to sign some important documents today.