Part 45

When the rains unleash their fury on Goa, it pours sheets. The sodden earth had been drenched by torrential downpour all night. Although Randhir had done the web check-in for his flight the previous day the airline messaged in the morning saying the flight had been rescheduled, that its departure would be delayed by a couple of hours. And the check-in counters would open around the new schedule. It meant Randhir had to wait for two hours before he could drove to the airport. Not that he was worried, he had no luggage besides his cabin bag. He was travelling on a Sunday so the delay would not make much difference to him. Harsh and Renuka were away in Bangalore on business, they would return by the evening. Just then his phone rang.

"Hi Randhir, heard your flight just got delayed!" It was Sanyukta.

"Yes, but how do you know about it?" He asked, curious.

"Heard from Parth! Listen, I have an idea. How about I come along with Parth to drop you off to the airport? I have never been to Vasco, if we leave a bit early we can visit the Damodar temple and St Andrew's Church! Please na Randhir, I already got Mom to agree to the plan!" She sounded excited. 

"Well, let me ask Parth, he'll have to drop you back home." He said.

"No problem, I already told him, he's okayed the plan! Can you pick me up in fifteen minutes?" He could sense the enthusiasm in her voice and his face curved into a smile.

"You just need an excuse to ramble around, don't you?" He asked her.

"You are partly right. Actually I need an excuse to spend time with my pretend boyfriend. Ok, I gotta go change, get here in fifteen, see yeah!" She hung up abruptly, without waiting for his response. 

"Woah! Crazy girl!" He remarked, even when he knew she was no longer on the phone with him. He called out to Parth and they stepped out, placing his bag and backpack in the back.

"Did you put this idea in Mowgli's head?" Randhir asked Parth as he got behind the wheel of the car. "You know her bro, only she can come up with crazy capers like these!  Anyway, she has never been to the airport. Let her enjoy the joyride!" Parth clarified.

"Hi!" She shouted out as the car drove up before her house. "Have a nice trip Randhir! And Parth, please make sure Sanyukta comes home immediately. I tried talking her out but she insisted on going along with you!" Anju said as she stepped forward to say goodbye to Randhir. "Thank you, and don't worry about her, she will be home soon, just in time for lunch!" Randhir assured Anju with a smile and they drove off.

A light drizzle fell as they rode along. It was a refreshing change after the deluge in the night. "When do we get there?" She asked. "In about 40 minutes." Parth informed her. Sanyukta was in such an upbeat mood that she sang along as the music played on the car stereo. "Hey Mowgli, you'll scare the fish in the sea with your singing!" Parth called out to her. "Since I no longer work for the Shekhawats I am a free bird now! And I'll sing if I want to! You are just jealous you can't sing, Parth!" She retorted. Just then Randhir's phone buzzed. "Answer it, will you, I am driving!" He told Parth.

"Mowgli stop your caterwauling please! Hi Tanya, no, he's driving right now, you can talk to me! Sure, ok, I'll tell him. He says he'll call you as soon as he gets to Mumbai. Ok, bye then!" Parth hung up and in a few moments he realised that the car had suddenly fallen quiet. Randhir had muted the music earlier and Sanyukta was no longer singing. Parth put the stereo on again and waited. "Mowgli what happened? Cat got your tongue? Why are you not screeching anymore?" He prodded her. "Who did you just speak to?" Sanyukta asked him casually. Parth turned to Randhir and winked. The brothers smirked as they realised what had happened. 

"Mowgli that was Tanya, a very hot girl with tons of attitude!" Parth stoked her fire. "Is she your friend?" Sanyukta asked him. "She called Randhir, not me! But why are you asking about her?" Parth was trying very hard not to burst out laughing. "Nothing, just like that!" She replied, trying to sound disinterested, as she stared out of the window. The brothers continued to chat but Sanyukta's mood had changed completely. Randhir parked the car after they arrived next to the Damodar temple in Vasco. "Come on Mowgli, you wanted to come here!" Parth reminded her and she stepped out of the car. 

They placed their footwear outside and entered the temple where there were many devotees offering prayers, notwithstanding the heavy rainfall of the night. They paid obeisance and spent some time inside before leaving the temple. The St Andrew's church was quite close to the temple and when they got there Sunday mass had just wound up. As people exited the church the brothers led Sanyukta inside the near-empty shrine and they sat down among the pews. After some time Sanyukta rose to her feet and began exploring the church. "Mowgli, Tanya is Vishad's girlfriend, she works in our Mumbai office and often interacts with Dad or Randhir about work related issues. Stop sulking now." Parth told her with a cheesy grin on his face.

Sanyukta pretended as if she barely heard him but Parth could see that her mood was changing back to normal. "Come on, let's grab a bite to eat! After that we'll see Bhai off at the airport!" He pulled her along and they followed Randhir to a sandwich deli nearby. He got them a chicken and cheese sandwich each and they tucked in. It was a short drive to the airport from there. Randhir managed to find a spot to park the car. "Chalo guys, hope to see you soon!" Randhir said as Parth off-loaded his bag for him. Sanyukta stood by while the brothers shared a filial hug. Randhir was about to walk away when she could not restrain herself and ran straight into his arms, surprising him. "I am sorry for wrecking your car!" She said, after fumbling for an opening line. 

It felt so good being close to him and she wanted to make the moment last. "Don't worry about it, Mowgli, you've already compensated for that. Study well, and keep in touch. Most of all be safe, don't put yourself in a vulnerable position at any time, I will not be around to assist." He said, letting her go. "I'll miss you!" Her voice nearly cracked. "Shall miss you too! We had a great summer, didn't we?" He asked and she smiled at him. He smiled back, turned around and made his way in through the gate, waving to them as they walked to the car. Parth started the car and Sanyukta craned her neck to see Randhir until he vanished out of sight. Parth offered her a tissue and she grabbed to gratefully, dabbing her eyes with it. "First love, so beautiful and yet so naive!" He reminded her. She said nothing. She knew both brothers took her for an infatuated kid. They could be right, she thought to herself. The year ahead could give her a clue if what she had was just a passing summer crush or was it meant to be something more.