Part 7

After dropping Sanyukta at the bride's home Randhir, Parth and Vidushi arrived in time for the 5 pm nuptials at the church. The family, friends and other invitees took their seats while the groom, the best man and the other groomsmen awaited the arrival of the bride. Since Randhir was seated with his friends from school, Parth and Vidushi took seats a little further down. No sooner were they seated Vidushi's curiosity got the better of her. "Parth, what's going on between Randhir and Sanyukta? He went all out and took her shopping, she is even staying over at your place." "They were both married as children and now she is having his baby. I shall be an uncle soon!" Parth whispered conspiratorially. For a moment Vidushi looked stunned and seeing her expression Parth burst out laughing. "You horrible man! I actually thought they were..." She replied in indignation. 

"Vidushi, if you took more interest in college books than in gossip you would surely top the class. Don't you know Randhir at all? Violet was probably scared that Sanyukta will come wrapped in snakes or caressing a centipede, she must have warned Randhir to make sure the girl turned up like a normal bridesmaid. Sanyukta has no clue about hair, makeup and other girlie stuff, you know she hangs with us guys all day. And he also let you shop, does that mean you are sleeping with him? If he wanted to have a fling with Sanyukta would he invite you to share a room with her? You know Bhai's choice in girls, does Sanyukta stand a chance with him? She is still a kid, he is only being protective of her. To keep her out of mischief she has been made to intern in our office this summer. Bhai probably wants her to learn grooming basics so she does not embarrass him at work. After all Anju aunty was our teacher and we hold her in great regard." Parth hoped that Vidushi would back off after his clarification. She could be too persistent for her own good. He could not let her sully either Sanyukta's or his brother's character, especially when the whole town knew of Harsh and Anju's failed love affair.

Fortunately for Parth that very moment the sound of Wagner's bridal chorus being played on the church organ reverberated all around and people turned their attention to a smiling Violet being led down the aisle by her father. The bride looked resplendent in a pristine white gown and a tiara in her hair underneath her veil. She carried a bouquet of roses in her hand. A little flower girl walked ahead boldly, dropping roses from her little basket in the aisle, and was accompanied by the ring bearers who gingerly carried the engraved wedding rings on tiny velvet cushions. As the bride floated down the aisle the maid of honour walked behind her, followed by the other bridesmaids wearing co-ordinated dresses. Sanyukta walked behind the rest, wearing ballerina slippers unlike the other girls who wore high heels, which was just as well, she would hardly be able to walk in those. Nevertheless people gasped as they noticed her.  She looked ethereal, nobody could remember having seen her look so beautiful before. A thousand cameras snapped images of the bridal entourage, making Sanyukta blink. When she noticed Randhir he had a smile on his face and she quickly darted her eyes away, still avoiding a glance of him.

As the nuptial mass drew to a close the bridal couple read out their vows and exchanged rings. The groom lifted the bride's veil for their first kiss as man and wife, drawing a loud cheer. Soon they were walking out of the church jubilantly, shutterbugs snapping away like crazy. The groomsmen and the bridesmaids followed them out of the church and they lined up for well-orchestrated photographs. Soon everybody else trooped out of the church and walked to the lawn where the reception was to be held. The bridal couple went off to freshen up before the reception and Sanyukta just walked onto the lawn towards Parth and Vidushi, not knowing anything about touching up of her makeup. To keep them occupied Parth clicked selfies. In a while the bar opened and the caterers began passing cocktail snacks. Randhir and Parth picked up drinks for themselves and the girls, with a juice for Sanyukta as she was not quite eighteen. As Vidushi chatted away with Parth, Sanyukta just stood awkwardly not knowing what to do. Randhir, who looked completely at ease with himself strolled over and made conversation with his friends.

Just then Sanyukta was called away. The DJ played the traditional march and the bridal couple, followed by the maid of honour and the best man, and then the others made a formal entrance into the wedding venue and marched around it as people showered them with confetti. They halted at the cake table. The three-tier wedding cake was cut, champagne popped and toasts raised. The groom led his bride to the floor for their first dance on their chosen classic song "Unchained Melody" by The Righteous Brothers. They were followed by the best and maid of honour and the groomsmen and the bridesmaids. The bridal couple danced briefly with their parents and then the guest joined in. With the formal dancing over the DJ began playing popular music and the place went berserk with everyone, including Sanyukta letting their hair down. Sanyukta swigged rum and coke from Parth's glass when nobody was watching her, seeing Randhir dance with other girls had upset her. Randhir watched in amazement as Sanyukta dragged Parth on the dance floor while Vidushi took a break and they went on to dance non-stop with friends, making him wonder how much alcohol she had downed. 

As dinner was announced Randhir began watching Sanyukta like a hawk, she was behaving completely without inhibitions which clearly indicated that she was intoxicated. He forced her to down a few morsels before she ran off from him when the bride was about to throw the bouquet. He tried to stay close to her resulting in the bouquet landing on him and soon he had a dozen young girls pouncing upon him till the fastest one managed to grab it victoriously. By the time he gathered his wits about himself he was horrified to see her down another entire glass of rum and coke in a go. When she noticed him she tried to feign innocence by stuffing some wedding cake into her mouth. Randhir had seen enough, he made some excuse and bid goodbye to the bride and hosts.  He went over to Parth, slipped some protection into his pocket and warned him to use it in case he needed it that night. He told Parth to get a friend to drop Vidushi and him home, explaining to him Sanyukta's state.

He literally dragged Sanyukta to the car before he made his way home. She was a goner by then as she began singing "Chapel of love" by The Dixie Cups loudly, forcing him to drive the car once again to the stairs in the back of the house. She was so unmanageable he had to carry her. "Dance with me Randhir!" She commanded him as they entered his room. Without waiting for him to reply she threw her arms around his neck and twirled with him round the room, continuing her singing. She then threw him onto the bed and straddled him, looking deep into his eyes. "Aaww tuzo mog kortha Randhir (I love you, in Konkani)." The next moment she got off him and covered her face as though she regretted the confession. She flopped herself down, grabbed his pillow in her arms and promptly drifted off to sleep. Randhir got up, changed his clothes and brushed his teeth. He took off her shoes, undressed her with great difficulty and slid his tee and trackpants on her body before covering her with the duvet. He made a temporary nest on his couch like he had done before. 

As he lay down to sleep he could hear her snoring softly. He knew the guest room would probably be empty that night, he hoped Parth would remember to use protection if Vidushi spent the night in his room. Just my luck, he said to himself! "I need to use the bathroom!" He thought he was dreaming when her heard the words. By the time he reacted she had rushed in. She probably needs to throw up, he thought. He tried to follow her but she had shut herself in. Really tired by now, he went back to bed and nodded off immediately. After she threw up Sanyukta felt much better, even if she was a bit woozy in the head. She made sure she left a clean bathroom after her ablutions. When she got back she noticed Randhir was fast asleep in his own bed. With a smile on her face she crawled in with him, covered both of them with the duvet and threw an arm and a leg around him. Cuddling with him feels good, she told herself. "You are mine!" She whispered, and then she went off to sleep happily.