Part 58

"I am so fed up of being immersed in nerves, muscles and bones! We deserve a break!" Gayatri, a final year Bachelor in Physiotherapy student, whined as she stretched out during a well-earned recess. They were among a batch of forty students who had joined the course three years ago. Most were residents of the city and used a commuter train to reach the prestigious hospital and medical school located in central Mumbai each morning. They were due to write their final exams in a few months and then embark upon their six month internship. Gayatri prodded her batchmate Sanyukta, who was still immersed in her academic notes.  

"Come on, Sanyukta, don't give us a complex now! You have consistently topped the class in the previous three years. And I don't want to take no for an answer, we are taking a detour after the conference in Bangalore! I cannot wait to meet Sujay's family and you have to tag along as my wingman to keep up my morale!" Gayatri's expression was so firm it made Sanyukta laugh.

"I have already taken permission from Mom. How can I pass up the opportunity of a free holiday at your in-laws expense?" Sanyukta's thoughts drifted to the three years that had gone by. Three years of being away from Randhir, of not having met or spoken to him even once. They texted once in a couple of months during the first year after he left but Randhir was apparently so busy with establishing his father's new business in the US that he was unable to keep in touch with her. 

Now the only news she got about him was when Parth mentioned something about his brother over a social networking site. Sanyukta had resolved to dedicating herself to excelling in academics, having missed the core medical seat after her entrance exam. She had compensated for it by securing a place in the most prestigious medical college in Mumbai for her chosen discipline. She stayed with Anju in the latter's company flat. Mother and daughter looked out for each other and Anju was very happy with her daughter's academic progress. She was sure about Sanyukta's professional future and hoped that when the time was right she would be able to find the right match and see her daughter settle down happily.

Sanyukta had adapted to life in the city quite effortlessly. The commute was the only challenging part but it was integral to life in Mumbai. She had bonded easily with Gayatri in her first year. Gayatri's parents hailed from the Kodagu district of Karnataka but she had been brought up in Mumbai. She was betrothed to Sujay, a boy chosen by her parents. As a happy coincidence Sujay was doing his post graduate residentship in Orthopaedics. After both their education they would be married and could set up practise together. According to Gayatri both her personal and professional life was fully sorted. 

Sanyukta would smile whenever Gayatri gushed about her love for Sujay or when she complained how they had little time for each other. But it also filled her with an inexplicable longing and she would often wonder what Randhir's situation was like. She knew he was always occupied but sometimes she wondered if he was deliberately avoiding contact with her. Had he moved on, had he found someone for keeps or was he just flitting between one girl to another, seeking just momentary comfort? Or was he steadfast and unattached like she had chosen to be, she pondered upon often.

The night before she had to leave for the conference in Bangalore Sanyukta went to bed early telling her mother that she had to rise at dawn. She had already packed. In the morning she had to simply rise, shower, have her breakfast and depart for the train station. Somehow she was restless. The knowledge that her friend Gayatri was visiting her in-laws in their native town made her speculate about where she stood on the personal front as far as Randhir was concerned. She had been toying with the idea of calling him for a while now. Her fingers unconsciously sought out his number from her phonebook and dialled it. She heard his phone ring but there was no response. Disappointed she put the phone beneath her pillow and tried to force herself to sleep. She barely realised when she dozed off, the next thing she knew was her phone was buzzing. The clock showed 4 am, it was still half an hour before her alarm was due to go off.

"Mowgli, sorry to wake you up so early. But I was busy all day and now that I finished up I realised you had called me!" There was a hint of the American accent in his flawless diction and Sanyukta almost dropped her phone as she realised that Randhir was returning her call.

"Randhir, how have you been? It has been years!" She managed to blurt out.

"3 years and six months since I saw you! But I do get news about you from Parth. Heard you have been topping each year of medical school. That's really impressive! Keep it up! And hope your Mom is doing fine too!" He sounded genuinely pleased to know of her progress.

"She is well, thank you. And I am training to be a physiotherapist! I didn't score high enough for an MBBS seat, but you know that already!" She sounded bemused. Not that she had expected to crack the tough exam, but hope always springs eternal in the heart.

"No matter what you are training for, it is important to stay at the top of your game and looks like you have managed to do that. Sadly that also means you have neglected the social front. No boyfriend so far, I presume!" She could hear him laugh audibly.

"Does that mean you have done well on the professional front as well as found yourself a squeeze at the same time? If you have then I am surely busier than you could possibly be!" Her words were seeking clarity about what she had been brooding over.

"I know you are keen on knowing. No, no girlfriend yet, but there is quite an open field here for the taking. Wish I had time for someone. So Mowgli, I am practically sailing in the same boat as you are." Randhir sounded relaxed even if he was talking to her after a long time.

"Wonderful, I mean, it is good to know that you are focused on your business." The world was suddenly a happier place for Sanyukta. They continued to chat for a while before going off the phone.

It was an ecstatic Sanyukta who breezed through her morning routine and hugged her mother affectionately before rushing off to Dadar to board her train to Bangalore. Gayatri was sharp enough to notice the difference in her mood and immediately questioned her about it. In response Sanyukta simply grinned enigmatically, without clarifying much.