Part 69

The week that went by had not been easy for the mother and daughter duo. While still in Mumbai they had applied for leave from work. Then there was the hectic packing before they boarded the flight to Goa. 

As expected Anju had insisted on staying at her own place in Goa.  The throbbing headaches had begun soon after her daughter unexpectedly brought home a rather unlikely husband. Attributing her discomfort to stress Anju resorted to taking painkillers but chose not to mention anything to her daughter. And Sanyukta was too preoccupied with the extra work she took on to notice her mother's condition.

On the day set aside for her daughter's Griha Pravesh Anju rose early and gulped a pill to deal with the now familiar headache. She pushed her apprehension aside, bathed and prepared her daughter's favourite breakfast. Both women ate in silence, each battling a different storm in their respective minds. 

"Why did you get me such an expensive saree, Ma?" Sanyukta whined, as her fingers listlessly caressed the silken tassels at the end of the orange and silver kanjeevaram. Anju helped drape her saree and adorned her with gold jewellery appropriate for the occasion. 

"Because you short changed me by eloping with Vishad and I missed the opportunity then. It is tradition to dress up the bride when she leaves her parental home formally. What will people say if you go there looking like you are on your way to work? Now stand still while I pin these in your hair!" Anju commanded.

"No flowers, please Ma!" Sanyukta protested. 

"My dear child, this ordinary strand of aboli is a metaphor for your bond with your humble mother! You may have married into an affluent family but these flowers shall serve as a reminder that no matter how high you fly tomorrow, your feet, like the aboli bush, must remain firmly on the ground! That is where people like us belong! I don't have to warn you that apart from Harsh the Shekhawats may not exactly welcome you with open arms, because we are not their equals. But as long as you keep your dignity and not let yourself be provoked you should be fine!" The counseling was very essential.

"I know there will be drama, Ma!" Sanyukta hugged Anju desperately, hoping that a miracle could somehow turn the clock back two month in time. Already the thought of crossing that threshold was making her feel uneasy. How she had longed to breeze into that home once, hoping to have her name linked to a man she could no longer hope to have, now that she had wrecked the chance by marrying his bitter rival Vishad.

"I am not taking all my stuff, Ma! By the end of this week I have to fly back to Mumbai with you!" She sulked.

"Normal couples plan a honeymoon after their wedding and you want to get back to work so quickly? Why can't you be like your peers?" Anju knew her Sanyu had been brought up differently from the other girls of her age, perhaps it was time for her to start living more like them.

"I know that you never went on a honeymoon. Despite an unhappy marriage you lived a balanced life against all odds. There could be no better role model for me. Why should I emulate anyone else? But Ma, I must ask you something important once again. Have you really no regrets about letting go of the one you cared about so much?" She had heard the answer before and yet it had not been convincing enough.

"Being in love and being in possession of your love are disparate from each other. The human heart is selfish, it does not easily let go of the one it claims. Pining for someone is just a natural emotional response. But it would be a bigger disappointment to end up with that person and later realise that one was not good enough for them. As time goes by one learns to train the mind to stop craving for the physical manifestation of romantic love. The other person's happiness offers greater gratification. But you should not worry, you have chosen the man you wanted to be with, there cannot be a better beginning for married life." Anju kissed her on the forehead reassuringly and Sanyukta forced a smile.