Chapter 22: FINAL CHAPTER

Rick said we should go to the highway where we left supplies for Sophia. So that's what I did, we pulled up the the car that still had the food and water on it. The writing on the windshield was washed off though.

I parked and we all got out, hoping the others had the same idea was squashed when we realized it was just us here.

My stomach knotted at this, Daryl wasn't here. Where is he? He had to of got out right? He's not dead. Glenn, he got out with Maggie right??

"Wait, where's mom?" Carl asked Rick, his voice shaking. "You said she'd be here." Rick didn't say anything and I knew he was trying to figure something out. "We got to go back for her." Carl demanded.

"Carl-" Rick tried to reason but Carl wasn't having it. "No, why are we running? What are you doing!" Carl yelled at his father.

"Shh, you need to be quiet ok?" Rick said after looking around, worried about walkers. "Please." Carl begged "it's mom."

Rick bent down to explain that its to dangerous to go back, to look for anyone, but Carl pushed him back and stormed off behind the car we drove.

Rick went to follow him but was stopped by Hershel "Rick." He turned to looked at the old man and then me.

"You've got to get your boy to safety." Hershel started. "I'll wait here for my girls and the others. I know a few places, we'll meet up at one of them later."

"No Hershel, we can't split up not now." I said looking at him. "Where? Where is safe?" Rick asked, not expecting an answer.

"Please, keep Carl safe. I'll hide in one of the cars-" I cut Hershel off, "We. Are. Not. Splitting. Up."

"I've lost my farm," Hershel tried to argue. "I've lost my wife and maybe my daughters."

"You don't know that." Rick argued right back. "They'll be here."

"And you don't know that."

"You're a man of God." I said, "Have some faith."

"I can't profess to understand God's plan, but Christ promised the resurrection of the dead. I just thought he had something different in mind."

I chuckled at Hershel's words, earning me weird looks from the men. "God. He works in mysterious ways."

"We stick together." Rick said after a minute then walked over to Carl. I looked at Hershel and he looked at me, I shrugged and moved to sit on top of the car.

~*~

A little while later we heard a walker and moved to the side of the car to hide from it. I don't know why though its one walker. It passed the car and we moved behind it and watched as the walker stumbled away.

"I don't know how much longer we can stay here." Hershel whispered and Rick moved so her could see him.

"I'm not leaving without mom." Carl said looking to Rick. He looked at me and I nodded indicating we should stay. He nodded back then looked to Hershel.

"So we just gonna walk away?" Rick asked "knowing my wife and your girls are still out there? How do we live like that?"

"You've only got one concern now. One concern and one helping hand." Hershel stated and I shook my head. I can't believe him.

I could tell Rick took in Hershel's words, thinking he may be right. He bent down to be more at Carl's level "Carl, its not safe here."

That's when I heard it, the sound of a bike. Not just any bike, Daryl's bike. He appeared from the other side of the highway followed by two other car's. Rick looked back and I smiled as did he, I turned to see Hershel smiling to.