Chapter 5

A feeling of overwhelming guilt filled Chloe as she swung herself under the yellow police tape. Not only was she beating herself up inside over her almost intimate moment with Lucifer, but also over the fact that if she wasn't canoodling with Lucifer last night...maybe she would have found out that Olivia was in a threatening position. Maybe Chloe could have also stopped the murder, but instead, she was enjoying herself. Chloe chuckles at the irony. Here she is, criticizing herself for enjoying herself for the first time in a long time. But, if she hadn't maybe this girl could have been saved. Happiness was important, but so was her job.

But Lucifer's words were still repeating in her head. The one's spoken so softly and light after she had asked him a simple question. "You belong to heaven. I just didn't know angels could fly so low.". The words sounded so amazing off of his British tongue, and the thought of it still made a portion of her cheeks burn with glee.

"What can you tell us?" Chloe asks the coroner. He only has the bag open slightly, and even from where Chloe stands she can feel the bile making its way up her throat.

"Confirmed identity. The eyes were open and bloodshot again. We are going to be running a toxicology scan on both this body and the previous one to look for a sedative or drug that could produce this same reaction, in case we missed something. The body this time is even more beaten than the first with both wrists dislocated and/or broken. That could be taken as a possible sign of struggle, along with the multiple bruises on her legs. While there was less burns on the body, we also have to run a few tests to make sure there was no sexual assault as she was found with only partial clothing and lots of bruising on her upper thighs."

While listening to the report, Lucifer thinks of a joke, but even he silences himself on this topic. It was times like this he wished he was still in hell to punish this sick bastard. He's met evil people, but one's like this take the cake for being some of the worst creations his father ever let live.

"Are we looking at the same killer? Or a new one? Or a copycat perhaps?" Lucifer asks instead. Chloe turns to face him with a high eyebrow, surprised that he is asking something on topic and useful for once. With of shake of her head, she remembers her shred of anger towards him and shifts turns her attention back to the coroner.

"A lot of the cuts and bruising looks the same. And as I said, there was still some burns on her body so it is of my professional opinion to say yes. I would think this is the same person. If the toxicology comes back on both bodies the same it would only confirm his MO, and then I would say one hundred percent yes. However, you will be glad to know he was sloppier this time. I found three hairs on the body, all of the same color, and not the color of the victims. Royal's hair was black, and Olivia's was red. It was blonde, suggesting a second party at the scene tonight. Shall I run it over to the lab, or would you like to?"

"I will. Call me as soon as you have anything?" Chloe asks.

The coroner nods and heads off. Lucifer looks at Chloe like a lost puppy, "What now detective?"

"Now, we analyze the hair."

xxxxxxxxxx

"Now this place is snazzy!" Lucifer explains as they enter the LAPD crime lab. "I mean look at all these...whatchamacallit's and...thingamajigs...and doohickey's!"

Chloe sighs. "Lucifer, that would be the fingerprint analyzer, the DNA analyzer, and the microscope. And on another note, please don't touch any of it."

"Once again, someone knows how to suck all the fun out of everything," Lucifer teases, throwing his arms up in his dramatics.

Chloe shrugs it off, but her anger is only growing. She knows for a fact that it is misdirected, and it's taking everything to keep it in. It isn't his fault Olivia died, it's mine, Chloe thinks, the thought taking a deep root in her mind.