Chapter 8

The crowd at LUX was raving tonight, and Lucifer sat on the main couch, gathering his thoughts. Women were surrounding every empty space near him. But instead of feeling turned on or satisfied, Lucifer felt numb. He downed another shot quickly, feeling none of its effects slip down his throat. He was still partially immortal, and the buzz no longer affected him. Reaching for his whiskey, he downs that too within seconds. Anything to fill the void he is currently feeling. That...and the unsettling one behind it. The hunch that something isn't right in the world right now.

"Need a refill?" Maze asks as she struts up to him, holding his favorite brand. "We are all stocked up."

"Not right now Maze," Lucifer says, placing the two empty glasses on the table in front of him. "I'm not in the mood."

She places one hand slowly and seductively on her hip. "Whatever do you mean? Lucifer, you never turn down a drink!"

Lucifer nods his head in defeat. "I know. But something, just doesn't feel right tonight."

Maze settles into the couch, and goes under Lucifer's arm as he curls it around her shoulders. They be in a complicated friends with benefits relationship, but they both knew they couldn't ever give themselves to one another fully. Maze was there to protect him, and he had a bigger job to do. Yet, this didn't stop them from enjoying the presence of one another. "What about it? Do we need to-" she begins to sneak her hand around his tight waist, "sneak away upstairs for a few moments?" Maze lowers her voice to a whisper, leaning in so close she can smell his aftershave burning through her nostrils. "Maybe that will make it feel right-"

Lucifer doesn't necessarily push her off, but he does decline her offer using his body language and a simple small "No," in a a deep but caring tone. "Not tonight."

Maze slumps back and rolls her eyes. "Look Lucifer, you are spending a lot of your time lately with Chloe. I get that being separated isn't fun, but maybe you need a break from her. You know, for your own personal health."

But what if every moment away from her feels like an eternity longer than the one I was serving out as the ruler of hell?

Lucifer also breaks his normally perfect posture and slouches into the folds of the couch's fabric. "Maybe your right Maze. But there is just something about her, it's so enticing."

"Like what?" She questions. Lucifer takes a second to put the first thought in place before speaking.

"When I am around her it is like time doesn't exist. Chloe makes every moment count and takes nothing for granted. And her personality is so light, even after the world has tried to tear her down in every way. Strong and brave don't even begin to cover the extent of what she really is. I can be selfish, impatient, and stubborn. Although when I am with her, I feel like she is my match because not only does she challenge me, but it's like she loves me through my imperfections and helps shape them into something better. Every time I am with her it seems like somehow she gives me strength, control, and courage that makes me want to constantly evolve to be the man she needs. Chloe is the light in my ever present darkness, she is everything I never could have imagined I would want. I-"

Stopping himself, Lucifer realizes he is actually saying all of this aloud. He is shocked at himself for not only for being able to recognize how he is feeling, but being able to say it so loud and proudly. The woman next to him stares at him with shock and amazement. She leans forward and takes one of Lucifer's hands in her own.

"You really love her, don't you?" Maze confirms, her voice breaking halfway. Her eyes filling with happy tears. Sure, maybe a part of her was angry that he couldn't ever fully love her. But the way Lucifer went on about Chloe, she could only hope one day someone might be able to say that about her. Despite her demon status and all, she still wished silently she could have something as deep as what Lucifer so blatantly feels.