Chapter 19

When Lucifer's hand touched Chloe's body he was brought back to the time in that basement. Her skin was once again as frigid as that night, and it was like his inner fire was touching ice. He was careful to move her, unaware if anything might be broken. Her body was still and when Lucifer grabbed her wrist to check for a pulse it was completely limp. Trying to slow his own heartbeat to listen to hers seemed impossible but he was able to detect a faint pulse. Breathing out a small sigh of relief, Lucifer brushed some of the glass off her. Maze was right beside Lucifer looking up at the top of the elevator that once was a mirror. Now along with seven years of bad luck, its shards lay all over the place. But Mazikeen's greatest concern besides her safety was how such a small woman could be caught in a situation like this. Something wasn't adding up.

Lucifer prepared to pick her up bridal style. His hands looped under her knees and back as his upper arm supported her head. "Maze, help by clearing off a table will you?" Lucifer asked with a small voice. Instantly rushing to her Devil's request Mazikeen snapped from her intense thinking and rushed to clear off the nearest table. Pushing glasses straight off and onto the floor without a care, she helped Lucifer set down the mortal's body which was a limp dead weight.

"Chloe, can you hear me?" Lucifer asked while shaking her torso frantically. No reaction came from Chloe. Her head lay limp to the right while her breathing still remained so slow that the rise and fall of her chest wasn't visual.

"What could have happened?" Maze wondered aloud. Her eyebrows were creased in curiosity. If this was the consequences to her little tattle then Maze would feel even more sick in her stomach than she already was feeling. Guilt washed over her in multiple waves and she was ready to help in any way she could.

"I-I don't know," Lucifer stammered. He figured there might only be one way to find his answer. "Do we have security footage in the elevator?"

"We do!" Maze jumped to action, running to grab the laptop. Perhaps if she was helpful now Lucifer might trust her a little bit more. Lucifer's trust was all that real mattered to Mazikeen in this horrible world. Running behind the bar she bends down to the bottom cabinet. Her eyes lit up at the sight of the thin electronic device. Standing up, she was hit with the sight of just how vulnerable her dear devil was to this girl.

Lucifer's hand was tightly wrapped in Chloe's. Leaning over her body, Maze's devil looked broken at the sight of Chloe hurt. The man reeked of obvious desperation and agitation. His eyes had lost their usual fun and excitement, and it was replaced with fear. It wasn't a daily sight and it was bewildering to Mazikeen. What have I done? Maze wonders for the umpteenth time. For the first time Lucifer was actually happy. He only got his usual devil glow back when he was working with her. Maze's guilt was seconds away from eating her alive and she could only hope that forgiveness was near in her future.

"I got it!" she cries and Lucifer shifts his gaze to her. Setting down her hand gently, Lucifer plants a single kiss on Chloe's forehead. "I'm here," he whispers to her hoping somehow she can hear him. If she was going through what Lucifer had seen in his past, it was making Lucifer uncomfortable at the thought of her hurting. Anything to take her mind off of what was happening. Rushing away towards Maze, he can't help but look over his shoulder at his love. But he had to focus on what happened before he could focus on the future.

Pulling up the security footage, they rewound it back to the time frame right after Lucifer left. Chloe was tightly wrapped in a light blanket on the couch. "That's how she was when I left her..."

xxxxxxxxxx

Chloe pulled the blanket close to her because it seemed as though the room temperature had fallen by twenty degrees. Her body violently shook with a chill. Barely opening her eyes at her body's involuntary motion, she noticed her hands were shaking as her whole body shuddered once again. Looking just past her nose she could see her breath in the air. What is going on? She wondered to herself as her body violently shook once more.