Chapter 6

The apartment building was so tall it was hard to see the top from the spot where Lucifer and Chloe were standing. Lucifer's neck strained towards the sky as his one hand shielded his eyes from the bright sun's rays. "Why do human's always think the bigger the better? Actually I take that back. I've heard that quite a bit from the women in my company, but I still think the statement stands when we talk about architecture. Like why build one hundred floors instead of just a few?"

"Los Angeles is a big place," Chloe offers as an explanation while still finishing her eye roll from his statement. "It has to house a lot of people, rich and poor." She makes her way to the panel on the side of the building, searching for Olivia's boyfriends name on the panel in order to ring up for entry. Using her left pointer finger, she pushes down on the button only for a moment. Lucifer's face lights up in captivation and a sound of amazement leaves his lips.

"Detective, what is this magical device?" He goes closer to it, and begins to ring it repeatedly.

"I could see why you would have never had the opportunity to use one considering your class and money. There are many apartments in here and they keep the place locked tight," Chloe's eye begins to twitch from all the buzzing and ringing from Lucifer's repeated motion of pushing the buzzer. "And when they have visitors, they can buzz and the person in the apartment grants access and unlocks - Lucifer please stop-"

"STOP IT, god. Don't you have any decency? Leave me alone!" A voice rings out. Lucifer pulls back from the button, his hand still in the air, his face shocked before turning smug.

"Well at least I got his attention," he comments quickly, lower his arm with a smile.

Chloe shuts him up with a single look before speaking to the man again. "Fred?" She asks.

There is a long pause before Fred's voice rings out again. "Who is this?"

"This is the LAPD, we heard you wanted to speak with us about the homicide this morning." Once again there is a long pause. Chloe knows he must be feelings every emotion imaginable right now. She couldn't bare it if she lost someone close to her, so she can't say she has been where he has been, but she does feel empathy towards the man. "I know things are hard right now, but the more information you can give us, the more likely it is that we can solve this case and bring Olivia justice."

The voice is almost a whisper as it says, "Come on up. Room 223."

The door unlocks and swings open automatically. The building is dark, with what is looks to be like only three dim lights actually on. While Lucifer gets a sense of home, Chloe feels hesitant. This looks more like the scene of the crime than the actual alleyway. They reach the second floor after taking the rickety elevator, but as soon as the doors open a foul stench reaches their noses. Chloe covers her nose as Lucifer contorts his face.

"I've smelled a lot of things in hell, but this is something nasty," Lucifer adds. They begin to walk down the narrow and long hallway and the stench only lingers, and gets stronger by the time they reach the door in which behind is Fred. The door is cracked down the middle, and looks unstable. What they could both only hope is food looks to be stuck and rotten on it. Chloe wants to knock, but even second guesses that in the fear that if she touches it she might break it down, or contract a disease. She opts for shouting instead.

"Fred? Fred Sanders?"

Large pounding footsteps make their way to the door, as well as the sound of shattering glass and a shouted curse word. The door handle shakes back and forth before being swung open so harshly it hits the wall behind it with a large slam making all three of them jump. "Shitshitshitshit," Fred mutters under his breath. "I'm sorry guys, really. I wasn't expecting company," he sniffles and wipes his forehead and eyes with the back of his sleeve.