Chapter 13

Three Months Later/Part Two

xxxxxxxxxx

You are okay, Chloe has to remind herself.

Every. Single. Morning.

It's like when her eyes open, they don't see her bedroom. All she sees is the damp basement in which she was trapped in three months ago. When her eyes open, she doesn't see Trixie at the edge of her bed. Instead, all she can envision is Thomas coming towards her with a scalpel. It's like her brain ignores the feeling of warmth under her covers and swaps it for the chilled air of that place. Some mornings, it takes a full five minutes to place herself back into reality. Many nights she has suffered through night terrors, practically screaming herself awake. Not even the safest locks on the door could make her home seem like sanctuary anymore.

What seemed even more puzzling was that it was not only Thomas haunting her dreams. Sometimes, she would envision herself at the bottom of the metal staircase. Looking up towards the stairs she would see a red figure, running towards her. But something made her feel as though she wanted distance from the figure, not closeness. Something about the approaching figure made her feel like she was in danger. The figure had horns, and burnt skin. His eyes...there was only one thing Chloe had ever seen similar to it. When Lucifer was threatening that girl oh so long ago, Chloe could swear in the nearby mirror that she saw Lucifer's eyes and face change. In the darkness of Chloe's nightmare, those eyes burned straight through.

It was almost like her dreams were telling her that Lucifer wasn't what she thought he was. Almost as is she should distance herself from him. If she wanted to play within his metaphors, then sure. Chloe did believe if Lucifer really was the devil that she should probably stay away from someone like that. But, all his talk about not being the root of all evil had really gotten to Chloe. Lucifer had told her a couple of days ago that he doesn't make anyone do anything. Everyone makes personal choices, and then blames them upon the devil. What if he really wasn't all that bad? With deeper thought processes however, she wondered, What if he is showing up in my dreams as a creepy figure because I am afraid to actually be with someone again?

Her last attempt at love had crashed a burned. It left deep scars, both physical and mentally. But something about Lucifer was different. These past few months had really allowed them to grow closer. Lucifer had stayed by her side throughout the entire healing process. Through thick and thin, through blood work, check-ups, and even physical therapy for her ankle. Not to mention, Chloe was required to attend court about the details of Thomas' death. It was an open-shut case from that point on, with little to no investigation. Still, bringing it back up was like cutting her open yet again. Lucifer was by her side through it all, making her smile with his little remarks. How could someone who says such nice things and sticks with her through so much be evil? Why was she still holding back?

"Mommy! Lucifer is here!" Trixie shouts from the kitchen. Within seconds she can hear Lucifer's footsteps approaching the bedroom. His sleek physique enters the doorway, his hip resting on the frame.

"What are you still doing in the bloody bed Detective!" Lucifer remarks, his hand flying up in confusion.

"It's a Sunday. It is my day off Lucifer. I intend to spend it in bed," Chloe argues.

With an eye roll, he replies. "You have got to be kidding me. Crime doesn't take a power nap, there has to be something we can do today!"

Throwing her arm over her forehead, she groans loudly. "I can't believe this," she mutters under her breath.

"It's a beautiful day outside. Not only is in only one degree above freezing, but it is also raining! C'mon out of that bed! We can go for a joyride and do some hydroplaning wheelies in a parking lot somewhere!" Lucifer exclaims.